Setting up a home security system? Often the first consideration is using a reliable camera doorbell. In this context, Skybell vs Ring should never be overlooked.
- Advanced doorbells have become an important addition for most households.
Even if you are willing to settle for the most basic model, nobody wants to compromise on HD picture output and video recording.
- The range of features you can enjoy would vary with the product you choose.
However, most of the amazing doorbells offer motion detection and a smartphone app to view the live feed.
On top of that, there is a two-way audio feature so you can talk to the visitor at the door when you are far away.
Skybell vs Ring doorbells are simple to install and can function as standalone doorbells or in integration with other smart security equipment.
In this article, we will discuss two popular products from Skybell vs Ring doorbell’s lineup. Moreover, we hope that our break down of all the differences will help you make a smarter choice.
Skybell vs Ring – Comparative Analysis
Before we look into the review of separate products, we think it would be useful to provide our readers with a quick overview of how Skybell vs Ring doorbells differ.
The first basic difference is in the price of the equipment. Typically, Ring video doorbells will cost you less even if you opt for the top-notch pro models.
- However, additional costs are lower for bells from Skybell’s lineup.
For example, the company offers free cloud storage and snapshot capture as compared to the monthly fee charged by the Ring.
Customers have also loved Ring because of the range of choices it offers in the basic home security system.
- Conversely, Skybell only has video doorbells so far.
Additionally, Ring suits professional monitoring especially if via the Protect Plus Plan. This extends warranty time and lets you avail a 10% deduction on all Ring products in the future.
- Surprisingly, Ring also takes the lead in the ease of installation and automation.
Although both brands offer helpful guides, Ring doorbells are designed to be DIY products with flexible powering options (battery, hardwiring, and standard outlet for power).
You can call it a tie when things come down voice control options. Skybell vs Ring is compatible with Amazon Alexa.
Note! The ring also works with Yale and Schlage but does not provide features like Echo Show with Alexa.
Lastly, a one-year warranty is the same for both brands in addition to the Theft Protection program and FREE replacement.
Do you want a better idea about which product you should invest in? Continue reading to find out about the specs, pros, cons, and features of the 4 most popular products from Ring and Skybell.
Brand Name: Ring | Model Number: 1st Generation | Colors: Satin Nickel, Brass, Bronze | Battery: In-built Rechargeable battery | Dimensions: 4.98 x 2.43 x 0.87 inches | Weight: 1.21 lbs
Ring 1st Gen is the most budget-friendly option in the market without having to compromise on video quality. Check Price from Amazon
Review of Ring Video Doorbell (1st Gen)
Ring video doorbell offers 720p HD along with a Live View, sensitive motion detection, two-way communication, and a handful of privacy features.
The setup and installation process is made super-easy with the help guide provided in the package. On average, the installation time is less than 5 minutes.
The bell can be used wirelessly with the help of a rechargeable battery or hard-wired to an existing system. Once installed, the doorbell’s camera is capable of 180-degrees horizontal and 110-degrees vertical field of view.
- The device can remain fully functional in the operation range of -5 °F to 120 °F.
It has a weather-resistant build with a 1-year warranty. The ring also promises to replace any damaged parts without additional charges.
Although only basic motion detection is possible without any specified zones, the sensitivity levels are pretty good. Furthermore, an active noise-cancellation feature has been added to in-built two-way audio.
For a wireless connection, you need to have an 802.11 b/g/n (2.4 GHz) compatible router. It also required minimum speed of 500 Kbps but at least 1 Mbps is recommended.
- Ring doorbell (1st Gen) is hand-down the cheapest option available in the market.
- The price tag looks even more admirable given the fact that the bell has various necessary features.
- These include fair-quality video recording, motion detection, and two-way audio communication.
A Full Package at Your Disposal
- On purchase, you will get everything you need to have the doorbell up and running (except the drill!).
- The package includes the bell itself, a very helpful installation guide, and a small tool kit with all the pieces that you should need.
- To initiate the setup you need to install the smartphone app and connect it with the doorbell by pressing an orange button on the back.
- Furthermore, there is a section in the app that contains a detailed guide and tutorial videos for more comfortable installation.
- Ring doorbell can be used completely wirelessly.
- It is compatible with 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi connection to send over alerts and notifications.
- A wireless connection would need you to recharge the doorbell although a single full charge can last up to months.
- If you prefer hard-wiring, it can also be connected to an existing doorbell setup.
Live Video Feed and Audio
- This is a feature most helpful when you are away on vacation and somebody rings the doorbell.
- The ring smartphone app will instantly provide you with the live feed and you can choose to communicate remotely with the two-way audio.
FREE 30-Day Trial Cloud Recording
- The Cloud recording allows you to go back and review the activities or watch the videos saved within the last month.
- You can also download the videos.
- After the trial is over, you need to select a subscription plan to enjoy the same features.
Brand Name: Ring | Model Number: Pro | Colors: Satin Nickel, Pearl, Black, Venetian | Battery: Plug-in Adapter | Dimensions: 4.5 x 1.85 x 0.8 inches | Weight: 1.09 lbs
Choose the area of your liking where you want to have the motion detected and notified. Additionally, it can be powered by a plug-in adapter as well. Check Price from Amazon
Review of Ring Video Doorbell Pro
The ring has stepped up its game with the launch of Ring Doorbell Pro that offers 1080p HD video, advanced motion detection, zone customization, and much more!
This doorbell is not as easy to install so we do recommend taking help from a professional friend. Once you are done, in about 15 minutes, you can do ahead enjoy the Live View and an amazing night vision that it offers.
A catchy addition is that of interchangeable faceplates provided in the package. The box would contain white, black, and dark brown front plates in case you feel like changing the look of the bell after the purchase.
Just like Ring Video Doorbell (1st Gen), this doorbell can also be used either wirelessly or after being hardwired to an existing system.
The wireless type required is the same as previous models (802.11 b/g/n) but you need to make sure that at least 1 Mbps upload speed is available for smooth operation.
It was disappointed to see that Ring did not make any improvements to the weather-resistant capacity of the doorbell.
- It has the same operating range as the previous products in the Ring lineup.
Nonetheless, the manufacturers have worked on the design to give it an aesthetic yet discrete look so you can keep an eye on the visitors without creeping them out.
Choose The Look You Want!
- Not only has the Ring Pro been designed to be lighter than the previous models, but it also offers the flexibility of changing the faceplates.
- It is possible that you initially bought it in black but later decided that Pearl looked more attractive.
- Instead of changing the entire doorbell (or hate the one you have!), you can simply remove the front plate with the one you like.
Wide 160 Degree View
- You will not miss a glimpse of wide-angle coverage that Ring Pro has.
- Ring Pro is a great choice if you don’t want the visitors to know that they are being watched.
- The doorbell can be mounted on the wall according to your needs and in a hidden manner.
1080p HD Video
- With Ring Pro, you don’t need to worry about the fuzzy screen and blurry faces that make no sense.
- 1080p HD video feed is good enough to identify objects and people.
- Additionally, the video quality is not compromised on the Live feed as is the case with most other doorbells.
Advanced Zone Settings
- This doorbell allows you to set the zone where a motion will trigger an alert.
- A zone closer to your door can be selected to increase sensitivity.
- This would ensure that you are only notified at the right instance.
- Furthermore, you can draw the area yourself on the app instead of choosing pre-decided boxes for large or small distances.
- You can also snooze the motion completely for up to 2 hours.
- Although all Ring doorbells offer a smartphone app, Ring Pro also allows users to access the same app via any web browser.
Brand Name: Skybell | Model Number: DBCAM-TRIM | Colors: Grey | Battery: 4 AA Batteries | Dimensions: 6.54 x 4.88 x 2.28 inches | Weight: 0.43 lbs
If the amazing video quality wasn’t enough, you can zoom in 5X to identify package details or license plates easily! Check Price from Amazon
Review of Honeywell Skybell
Skybell Honeywell has a sleek design and clean finish that would look good with almost any exterior.
As it has been designed as a DIY project, you can install it in less than 10 minutes without any professional help.
The doorbell comes with two additional accessories: a power adapter and a wedge that can be used to increase the visibility area for the camera.
The doorbell offers a 180-degrees view with clear day and night feed at and HD 1920-1080p and a frame rate of 15 fps.
Additionally, you can zoom in up to 5X without experiencing any distortion. Amazon Alexa and Echo Dot work well with Skybell Honeywell if you are into voice control.
Although it does not guarantee effective monitoring, it still feels better to be able to see faces and objects instead of the conventional IR vision.
With Honeywell, you can also capture HD photographs of the view in front of the door. Furthermore, all the videos and photos will be saved in cloud storage that comes completely free of cost.
Skybell is also far more resistant to extreme weather than most of Ring’s products. It can withstand as low as -40 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit without malfunctioning.
Wide-Angle View and Zoom Capacity
- The video doorbell provides a panoramic view with 180 degrees to ensure you get full coverage of the area in front of your door.
- Furthermore, Skybell Honeywell offers 5X zoom capacity without any distortion.
- Tests have proven that you can identify license plates or package details with this feature.
Video and Photo Storage
- As it turns out, it is not just a video doorbell.
- The Honeywell can also capture pictures of the visitors and save them in the cloud storage.
- Skybell Cloud storage is FREE for all its customers.
- There are no monthly charges regardless of the subscription plan you choose.
Rain-Proof and Weather-Resistant
- Although most doorbells are designed to be resistant to water splashes such as rain, Skybell Honeywell offers more than just that.
- It can easily withstand hot summer noons and chilly nights in winter.
- Moreover, customers have also reviewed it to be durable amidst harsh storms and heavy rainfall.
Lesser Response Time
- We have repeated several times that these doorbells will notify you when there is a motion detected.
- However, only Honeywell guarantees instant response at the moment somebody arrives at your door.
Adjustable Video Quality
- Undoubtedly, the 1080p HD video offered by Skybell Honeywell is commendable.
- However, you can also reduce it to 720p video recording, so the streaming consumes lesser bandwidth.
- This is a desirable feature when you frequently must deal with slower internet.
Advanced Night Vision
- Honeywell not only provides night vision in good quality but it also does so in full colors!
- This does not make monitoring more reliable.
- However, it helps with the easy identification of visitors and objects.
Brand Name: Skybell | Model Number: SH02300BZ | Colors: Bronze| Battery: Lithium-ion powered | Dimensions: 2.8 x 0.9 x 2.8 inches | Weight: 0.12 lbs
It works smoothly Amazon Alexa and Echo Dot for further convenience. An LED blinking would still inform you if there is someone at the door. Check Price from Amazon
Review of Skybell HD SH02300BZ
Although it is a predecessor to Skybell Honeywell, there is no way in which this product is lacking.
The motion sensor technology is also up to the mark with flexible zone selection and the option to choose the sensitivity level, so you are notified with alarm when it was just a cat passing by.
As the name already suggests, Skybell HD has a crispy clear 1080p video feed with a 180-degrees view. Additionally, the night mode is available in full colors with 5X zooming capacity.
Luckily, there are no monthly charges. The stored videos can be accessed for FREE through the cloud storage for up to 7 days. After this, these are automatically removed so it better that you download any of them that might be important.
Moreover, access to Skybell HD can be shared by multiple users. All of them can tap to answer the doorbell, watch the video, open cloud storage, or download saved clips.
- However, only the administrator can make changes to the main settings.
Lastly, you can also silent the doorbell (ironic!) if you don’t want to be disturbed in the middle of the night or during an important gathering.
A Little Treat For Fancy Users
- Skybell HD will let you choose the color LED that blinks upon ringing.
- Surprisingly, almost all the colors are available so feel free to make it red for the party or green for Christmas day.
Compatibility With Other Devices
- Skybell HD can work with a range of other smart devices including Nest Cam and Nest Protect sensors.
- It is compatible with SmartThings and Moni Smart Security.
- The doorbell can connect to any other device linked via the Honeywell Total Connect platform.
- Lastly, it supports IFTTT and voice control with Amazon Alexa.
Clear Day and Night Vision
- It would have been a disappointment if Skybell HD didn’t live up to its name.
- Fortunately, the video doorbell provides a crisp and clear video output in both, day and night.
- With the 1080p HD 180-degree view plus the zoom-in capacity, this product is one of the most impressive ones in the market.
Flexible Video Quality
- Honeywell could reduce the video quality to 720p.
- With Skybell HD you can further lower it to 480p.
- This is handy for the same reasons mentioned above; if the internet connection is giving up on you it is better to save some bandwidth.
Easy Access Sharing
- You can invite other people to access the doorbell by using the Skybell HD app.
- Additional accounts can have guest access or be made administrators.
- This is helpful if you want your kids to be able to see who is at the door but don’t want them to mess around with the main settings.
- Skybell HD also lets you mute the doorbell when you don’t want to be disturbed by the chime.
- Furthermore, you can take a screenshot of the live feed in case you want to remember the face of the visitor or save a cute moment!
Skybell vs Ring – Find a Verdict
Conclusively, both Skybell vs Ring are on top of their games to provide for powerful and feature-rich video doorbells. However, there are a couple of points in which one takes the lead on the other.
For example, Skybell doorbells have colored night visions. Although that might not sound like a big catch, it helps with easy identification of objects and faces.
On the other hand, Ring provides more flexible zoning and easy customization options. Moreover, it has also come up with the idea of using a web browser as an option to keep a check on the recorded activities.
So, the final choice will come down to what you are looking for in the video doorbell. Whatever you decide to go with, don’t forget to share your experience with us in the comment section below. Good Luck!