A few years back I didn’t know what AC means! Here I will explain the difference between two main AC series using a comparison of Linksys AC1900 vs AC2200.
- Up to N600 Mbps (2.4 GHz) + AC1300 Mbps (5.0 GHz) speeds with Simultaneous Dual Band
- Provides up to 1,500 square feet of Wi-Fi coverage for 15+ wireless devices
Our homes, offices and even public buildings now rely on WiFi technology but still, we are not often able to distinguish between technical jargons related to it.
- For those of you who did not know, here’s what AC stands for!
AC is one of the major specs associated with wireless devices. So far it includes AC1200, AC1900, AC2200, etc.
But what is the background of this technical specification and are there any major differences between an AC1900 router and AC2200 router?
Did You Know? Since the original wireless protocol 802.11 has gone under many improvements, the latest version is that of IEEE 802.11ac. This is how the ACXXXX terminology was born!
The digits at the end represent the sub-variations in the wireless speeds that the 802.11ac device can support.
- Now you may ask, is speed the only major distinction between the two products?
That might not be true! This is what we will explore here. By looking into the comparison between Linksys AC1900 vs AC2200 we will find out how different the routers are in terms of specs, pros, cons and features.
Linksys AC1900 vs AC2200: Quick Overview
Although Linksys AC1900 EA7500 has a bulkier design, there is not much of a difference on the surface that you will be able to spot.
However, AC2200 model EA8300 offers a greater number of external antennas (4) as compared to the AC1900 model (3).
Both the routers come in black colour with 1 WAN port, 4 LAN ports and dual-frequency bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz).
As the name already indicates, EA8300 provides a maximum WiFi speed of 2200 Mbps which is more than 1900 Mbps achievable with EA7500.
These are routers with dual-core processors. Surprisingly AC1900 offers 512 MB RAM which is more than wired with AC2200 (256 MB).
Nonetheless, the newer models win the game with 256 MB Flash memory as compared to 128 MB of Linksys AC1900 EA7500.
- Nonetheless, both routers are equipped with the latest security features and encryption types.
Both Linksys AC1900 and AC2200 come with 64 bit WEP, 128 bit WEP, WPA2 personal and WPA2 enterprise. They also allow for parental controls.
Attention! In addition to the Beamforming technology and Smart WiFi software present in the products, AC2200 EA8300.
It also offers Guest access, Airtime Fairness, Cloud Management, Smart Connect Band Steering and Advanced SPI + DoS Protection.
- It should be obvious by now that the newer model, AC2200, has a lot more in stock for you.
However, you need to keep in mind that these fancy features come at a premium price.
Brand Name: Linksys | Model Number: EA7500-RM2 | Wireless Type: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac | Color: Black | Dimensions: 10 x 7 x 2 inches | Weight: 2 lbs
MIMO allows you to connect multiple devices with the same WiFi network without compromising on speed and internet performance. Check Price from Amazon
Linksys AC1900 Review
Linksys AC1900 EA7500 is a dual-band Gigabit router that is easy to set up and configure in less than 10 minutes. You can do so by using the Smart WiFi application or through the web browser.
This router was released in 2015 with 256 MB RAM, 128 MB Flash memory and 802.11a/b/g/n/ac wireless protocol. EA7500 design includes 4 detachable antennas that operate on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
- With this router, you can enjoy a maximum transfer rate of up to 1900 Mbps.
Furthermore, the device does not send out signals in random directions. In fact, you can beam them towards particularly connected devices using the latest beamforming technology.
Users have also loved it for the MU-MIMO technology which is designed to allow for interruption-free simultaneous streaming on multiple devices. This is a great feature if you love gaming online or streaming multimedia content free of any lags.
Another useful feature is that of Guest Network that allows you to create a separate network for visitors without sharing the password and details of the main network.
A wireless connection is not the only option for you. You can also use EA7500 with wired equipment as it comes with 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports. Furthermore, there is a USB 2.0 port and a USB 3.0 port to support external storage.
Network and Connectivity
- Linksys EA7500 supports IPv4 and IPv6 network protocol. The latest version allows for the identification and location system for the computers that are connected to the network.
- IPv6 protocol also efficiently routes traffic across the internet.
- The two USB ports (3.0 and 2.0) provide a fast interface for external storage. You can use these to transfer data with rates up to 4.8 Gbps.
- Furthermore, you can also attach a compatible USB printer with this router or make use of in-built NAS functionality.
- The User-MIMO router comes with 2 dedicated WiFi bands that can provide up to 1900 Mbps speed. You can also manually assign the high bandwidth for particular tasks such as 4K streaming or online gaming.
- MU-MIMO allows for uninterrupted simultaneous connection with multiple devices including streaming media players, smart TVs, game consoles and tablets.
- This feature is a nice addition for the family-based use of the router. All the members can access the same network without facing any interruptions or lags.
Lag-Free Online Gaming
- With Linksys EA7500 AC1900 you can take advantage of a fast-paced internet connection and WiFi activities such as online gaming with multiplayer mode.
- 1.4 GHz dual-core processor is capable of handling 3 streams simultaneously without compromising on WiFi performance.
Improved WiFi Experience With Beamforming
- The router does not send out signals in random directions. It specifically sends signals directly to your device to improve signal strength and coverage.
- You don’t need to worry about weak signals when you are mobile in the house, playing videos games, checking emails, etc.
Brand Name: Linksys | Model Number: EA8300-RM2 | Wireless Type: 802.11a/b/g | Color: Black | Dimensions: 6.37 x 8.41 x 2.16 inches | Weight: 2.51 lbs
The Smart Connect feature wisely chooses the best radio band suited for your wireless activity so you can stream without interruptions. Check Price from Amazon
Linksys AC2200 Review
Linksys AC2200 EA8300 is a stand-alone router with a dual-stream Qualcomm tri-band design. The brand has, in fact, played pretty straight with this device that can provide 400 Mbps with 2.4 GHz and 867 Mbps with 2 5 GHz bands for a maximum output speed of 2134 Mbps.
Note! Linksys EA8300 dual-band router is small and easy to hide. Priced at just $199, you can consider it as an inexpensive option.
The routers come with 4 non-adjustable external antennas and a front panel with LED lighting. The rear side, on the other hand, has 1 USB 3.0 port and 1 WAN port.
- The right side of the device also contains a WPS switch.
The interior of the router has heat sinks which help in keeping it cool during long operations. There are also 3 internal antennas, each dedicated to one radio band.
In terms of performance, EA8300 has been an aspiration! It is known to deliver solid output for mid-range connections. Furthermore, the router can successfully carry 428 Mbps and 619 Mbps data through concrete walls.
- Therefore, a number of users prefer it as an ideal choice for larger homes or offices with multiple floors.
All in all, this device is a great replacement for huge routers with a lot of blinking lights. It is easy to configure, budget-friendly and offers almost all the features you expect to find in high-end routers.
Moreover, it can efficiently transfer data at rates that are good enough for homes and apartments.
Advanced Security Features
- Linksys AC2200 uses WPA2 encryption to make sure your data is well-protected and the family’s identity is kept hidden and safe.
- If you want to ensure that all the firmware packages are encrypted for extra security, I recommend you update the software to the latest version.
- The manufacturers are also planning on adding advanced antiviral software to take care of cyber threats before they even become a problem.
Solid Mid-Range Performance
- EA8300 is an excellent performer thanks to Qualcomm’s IPQ4019 WiFi chip that allows for tri-band 802.11ac networking.
- For devices that are 5 feet away, the router can deliver 626 Mbps speed. That is almost 13% higher than what typical gaming-oriented routers can deliver.
- It is known to deliver solid output for mid-range connections. Furthermore, the router can successfully carry 428 Mbps and 619 Mbps data through concrete walls.
- Various testing has shown that Linksys AC2200 can also allow for 4K streaming on compatible devices without any interruption problem. Both the audio and video will reach you without any freezes, skips or annoying lags.
Enhanced Connectivity Features
- There are 4 external antennas that you can swivel around for improving the aim of WiFi signals. However, unlike WRT1900ACS, these are not removable or replaceable.
- EA8300 also uses beamforming and MU-MIMO technology to improve the WiFi experience when multiple devices are connected.
Linksys AC1900 vs AC2200: Final Verdict
I like all other readers you came here looking for a “better” router than we can suggest, without a pause, to go for AC2200 EA8300. Although it comes with a costly price tag, the router has tri-band capabilities, offers amazing speed, and has introduced major improvements in security features and hardware.
However, Linksys AC1900 is a budget-friendly choice that will not disappoint you in the long run. Since this router also provides beamforming and MU-MIMO features like the newer AC2200 model, it can conveniently allow for lag-free streaming and support online gaming without issues.
In this article, we have tried to bring forward all the information that we could find on Linksys AC1900 vs AC2200. If you have any queries feel free to leave them in the comment section below!