Most of us don’t know much about amazing routers when we get into trouble choosing a good one for ourselves. That is why we thought it best to provide our readers with a detailed comparison of Linksys EA8500 vs WRT1900AC.
- Works with Amazon Alexa.IPv6 compatible: Yes
- 4 High-performance Antennas For Maximum Coverage & Reliability
Wireless networking has become a need of the era. From houses to large offices, everybody is relying on internet connections in their daily lives.
With that being said, it can become a real headache when you need to choose a router with minimal knowledge about their features.
- It is always best to know what you are getting into!
Therefore, if you have ended up here trying to decide between Linksys EA8500 vs WRT1900AC, you have come to the right place.
Linksys EA8500 vs WRT1900AC: Quick Overview
A quick glance over the two routers may not be enough to point out dire differences in their design and makeup.
Linksys EA8500 has a black finish in comparison to WRT1900AC that is available in both blue and black.
- Moreover, the EA model is lightweight although it comes with an active cooling fan.
This feature is missing in WRT series which is also bulkier. Nonetheless, both routers have the build that is compatible with wall-mounting.
In terms of connectivity, you will not be able to find anything missing in both products. Linksys EA8500 and Linksys WRT1900AC have 4 LAN ports, 1 WAN ports, 1 USB 2.0 port, and 1 USB 3.0 port.
Both the products offer fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE and 802.11a/b/g/n/ac wireless protocol.
However, the number of simultaneous connections possible with EA8500 (35230) is more than as compared to Linksys WRT1900AC (30000).
- Linksys EA8500 also performs better in terms of WAN-LAN throughput.
It provides 803 Mbps whereas WRT1900AC is only capable of providing 631.1 Mbps. Furthermore, the rate at which data can be transferred on dual bands is much higher in case of EA8500.
You can make use 800 Mbps on 2.4 GHz and 1733 Mbps on 5 GHz as compared to 600 Mbps on 2.4 GHz and 1300 Mbps on 5 GHz with WRT1900AC.
Although the flash memory with both models is the same (128 MB), EA8500 again beats its competitor with an inbuilt RAM of 512 MB instead of 256 MB that the previous model has.
Are you still confused about which one to choose? Now without further delay, we will give you a detailed comparison of the specs, pros, cons and features of Linksys EA8500 vs WRT1900AC. Let’s go!
Brand: Linksys | Model Name: EA8500 | Operating System: Windows, Mac OS, Mac, PC | WiFi Technology: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac | Dimensions: 9.76 x 7.67 x 2.01 inches | Weight: 2.11 lbs
You can transfer data at the rate of 800 Mbps on 2.4 GHz and 1733 Mbps on 5 GHz with Linksys EA8500. Check Price from Amazon
Linksys EA8500 Review
Linksys EA8500 is a smart choice in the WiFi router. The latest MU-MIMO technology makes sure you get a stable connection even with multiple devices and 5 GHz band provides solid performance.
- However, both of these features come at a premium price ($279.99) so it is best you take a look at your budget before deciding.
In order to take full advantage of the router with multiple clients, all the connected devices must be compatible with 802.11ac circuity and support MU-MIMO. This would let you enjoy an interruption-free internet connection with several devices vying for bandwidth.
Furthermore, the device comes with many vent holes and slots to keep it cool during long operation. The finish is designed to blend into the surroundings rather than standing out. You can choose to mount it on the wall or lay it horizontally or vertically on the table.
The system has a USB 3.0 port and 2.0 port in addition to the 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports. The internal antennas are non-adjustable but you can rotate the external ones to allow for the best signal direction.
In terms of performance, a 1.4 GHz dual-core processor coupled with 512 MB RAM is suitable for home-based as well as office use.
Interested in finding out more? Continue reading to learn about multiple features of Linksys EA8500.
- The black finish has been made more blendable with the surroundings. Similarly, unlike most other routers, the front LED would not blink annoyingly on your face. Indicator lights for networking ports and signal transmission are present at the back.
- With a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band, the router can handle two lanes of data traffic simultaneously.
- The internal antennas are non-adjustable but you can rotate the external ones to serve the best signal direction.
- EA8500 is equipped with a 1.4 dual-core processor and 512 MB of RAM. IT also has Qualcomm’s QCA9980 MU/EFX MU-MIMO radio chip missing in most mainstream routers.
- The maximum throughput of the device can reach up to 800 Mbps in the 2.4 GHz band and 1.73 Mbps in the 5 GHz band. The performance does not downgrade much when MU-MIMO is engaged.
- On top of that, the router is able to stay online with connected devices for more than 160 feet. The connectivity range is admirable when compared with other amazing routers in the market.
Smart WiFi Software
- The software makes it easy for you to access tools such as parental controls, media prioritization, external storage and network map.
- Through the settings option, you can align security features and manage device connectivity.
- This platform will also let you download a small selection of items that can further enhance the router’s capabilities. The apps range from free to paid ones.
Security and Encryption Options
- Besides the fact that it is missing WPA, the router has the ability to authenticate devices with WEP and WPA2 protocols as well as mixed mode.
- There are also SPI and NAT Firewalls. In order to keep your main network secured and private, you can also make use of guest networking.
Brand: Linksys | Model Name: WRT1900AC | Operating System: Windows, Vista, XP, Mac OS | WiFi Technology: 802.11a,b,g,n,ac | Dimensions: 9.76 x 7.67 x 2.01 inches | Weight: 1.77 lbs
Smart WiFi gives you control via mobile app to manage parental restrictions, prioritize traffic and take care of network away from home. Check Price from Amazon
Linksys WRT1900AC Review
- This router emerged as a reliable choice for streaming content online and taking part in online multiplayer games.
With WRT1900AC, Linksys basically focused on improving hardware, amount of RAM and CPU speed. In fact, Linksys WRT1900AC has definitely marked its name on the list of most powerful routers available.
With 1.2 GHz processor and 256 GB RAM, the device capable of giving out strong WiFi signals sufficient to handle streaming on multiple devices at once. Furthermore, beamforming shapes the signals from the router so each of the connected devices works without interruptions.
The parental control features here are somewhat simple but the router allows for more than 50 guest networks that can be password-protected and stream separately from the main connection. The media prioritization feature lets you name clients from High to Normal preferences.
The only downside is the comparatively high price as there are other cheaper alternatives available. However, these do not offer the customization features that Linksys WRT1900AC has in stock for you.
- You can expect the Linksys WRT1900AC to draw a lot of attention to itself as, unlike other hidden WiFi devices, this router is larger in size with a more evident design and colour.
- With four stubby legs and four adjustable antennas, the device is bound to draw the eye in the living room.
- In addition to this, one feature that users have loved a lot is the power button that comes in the shape of a sturdy toggle switch. This makes it extremely easy to locate and use control.
- A Smart WiFi account lets you log in to the router when you are away from home simply via a tap on the mobile device.
- Through this app, you can choose to set parental controls, prioritize traffic, change passwords on guest networks, and monitor the WiFi activity altogether.
Media Prioritization and Control Features
- The media prioritization feature lets you name clients from High to Normal preferences.
- The preferred networks can then enjoy prioritized access to the internet so the more important tasks are not compromised.
- The parental control features here are somewhat simple. They can be used to block certain devices or just selected websites.
- You can also align a time when the sites will be blocked. With Linksys WRT1900AC you can allow up to 50 guest networks that are password protected and stream separately from the main network.
- You can also name the networks to what you prefer. This was not possible in the previous models.
- Linksys WRT1900AC definitely marks its name on the list of most powerful routers available.
- With a 1.2 GHz processor and 256 GB RAM, the device capable of giving out strong WiFi signals sufficient to handle streaming on multiple devices at once.
- Furthermore, beamforming technology shapes the signals from the router so each of the connected devices receives better than average speed without interruptions.
- The high-powered amplifiers ensured good connectivity and coverage.
- The WiFi thus proves to be an ideal choice even in multistory houses where each family member wants to use the internet for browsing, online gaming, HD video streaming and what not!
Linksys EA8500 vs WRT1900AC: Final Verdict
The final choice between Linksys EA8500 vs WRT1900AC has a lot to do with the kind of user you are. The main advantage of choosing WRT1900AC is that it comes with flexible open-source firmware.
This feature allows for the addition of almost any software so you can have complete control over how the device works. However, this is not something many users would be interested in.
On the other hand, the biggest advantage for EA8500 is the MU-MIMO technology that lets multiple devices stream simultaneously. So, if your router use has more to do with the number of devices you need to work with then it is best to go for Linksys EA8500.