When we have to talk about the best power supply units available in the market, it is hardly likely that customers won’t step in and consider the options presented by Corsair. Corsair RM vs RMX?
After all, it is one of the leading brands in the world of electronics and accessories. So, in order to make the choice easier for you, we have summed up a detailed Corsair RM vs RMX review right here!
- 80 PLUS Gold Certified: High efficiency operation for lower power consumption, less noise and cooler temperatures
- 80 Plus Gold certified for lower power consumption, less noise and cooler temperatures
- It took the general population a while to realize how important a reliable power supply unit is.
As awareness continues to grow, many brands stepped into the race of building a decent, affordable, and up-to-date PSU. As we had already expected, Corsair was quick to win the limelight.
Corsair PSUs are manufactured by Seasonic. By putting trust in this noted company, Corsair aims to provide an easy solution to irreversible damage that power spikes often cause in CPUs and other electronic gadgets.
Luckily, Corsair RM vs Corsair RMX is considerably budget-friendly. They also provide a wide range of units to choose from making them suitable for multiple purposes.
They are noise-free, free from overheating issues, and are equipped with a number of protective features that most other PSUs have missed out on.
In addition to the minor difference in the price tag, the two models also come with cooling fans and capacitors of varying quality. We will discuss these features in more detail in the next section so stay tuned!
Is There a Major Difference In Corsair RM vs RMX?
A major difference? Maybe not. However, there are a number of distinctions between the Corsair RM and RMX series. Let’s look into this one by one.
Corsair RM Is Cheaper
Perhaps the most evident difference between the two power supply units is that Corsair RMX is more expensive.
However, manufacturers do have a valid explanation for this. After all, they have equipped the newer PSU with considerable improvements and additional features.
Corsair RMX Is Equipped With Better Quality Capacitors
Customers already know that when it comes to the quality of installed capacitors, Corsair RM is of no match to RMX. Low-quality capacitors were installed in the RM series to make it more affordable for buyers on a tight budget.
Quality of Cooling Fans
Although their quality still remains a topic of debate between Corsair users, it is obvious that RM hosts more affordable cooling fans as compared to RMX.
Corsair RMX is equipped with high-end Japanese Nichicon and NR135L fans whereas RM hosts Hong-Hua fan and Chinese Elite caps.
RM Models Support Modern Standby Mode
One advantage that RM users enjoy is that it comes with Standby Mode in Windows 10 which ensures your PC turns on quickly instead of taking ages to come to action.
Observations have shown that PCs with RM PSU take only about 5 seconds to turn on from S3 sleep mode.
RMX Models Contain In-Cable Caps
RMX models are equipped with in-cable caps. These help to fight against ripple suppression (or so the customers thought!).
Later on, the manufacturers at Corsair pointed out the PSU’s performance was not much different with or without this technology and so did not feel the need to continue using it for other series.
These were some basic differences that we came across when reviewing Corsair RM vs RMX power supply units. Is it still not enough to draw the final choice?
Then let us look into the two products individually and examine their most distinctive features, pros, and cons to see which one is more suitable for you.
Brand: Corsair | Model Number: CP-9020195-NA | Product Weight: 3.75 pounds | Product Dimensions: 6.3 x 5.91 x 3.39 inches | Color: 80PLUS Gold | Size: 750 Watt |
Corsair RM750 supports Standby mode in Windows 10 that helps the PC turn on quickly, in fact, it will only take less than 5 seconds to come to life. Check Price from Amazon
Review of Corsair RM750
Corsair RM series was launched as a cost-effective alternative to high-end power supply units. However, the company gave its best shot to ensure that it delivered the same power as some of its competitors.
In order to make it more affordable, Corsair installed low-quality capacitors. In fact, that is one of the major differences between the RM and RMX series. Additionally, cooling fans were also replaced by Chinese Elite caps and Hong-Hua fans.
- However, these utilized the same rifle bearing as the cooling fans that were present in RMX models.
Another catchy feature is that Corsair RM750 supports Standby mode in Windows 10. This helps the PC turn on quickly, in fact, it will only take less than 5 seconds to come to life.
Note! You also don’t need to invest in any additional connectors. Corsair RM750 contains 2 EPS and 6 PCI connectors to take care of all your connection requirements.
- It is equipped with a 140 mm rifle bearing fan that helps to keep its operation as quiet as possible.
This is reinforced by the shape of the fan that has been specifically designed to keep the noise-pollution as low as possible without downgrading the performance of the power supply unit.
You can easily install RM750 thanks to its fully modular cables and convenient management. At the time of the purchase, you will also get a cable bag meant to store away the cables when they are not in use.
This is handy since storing such accessories for a long period of time mostly means you’ll forget where you kept them after months.
So this is what we think of Corsair RM750. Below is a quick summary of all the distinctive features that this product holds. Let’s have a look.
- One of the distinctive features of this model is that it allows for a quiet operation without causing much disturbance in the room.
- Noise-free use is made possible thanks to a a140 mm rifle bearing fan.
- The curvy design of the fans also ensures that noise levels are kept as low as possible.
- The real challenge was to manufacture such a product without losing any performance. Corsair, fortunately, did this with the utmost expertise.
- Corsair RM750 comes with Chinese Hong-Hua fans that contribute towards making this PSU more cost-friendly.
- Furthermore, the fan is programmed to only start its function when it is needed.
- This is one of the major techniques that help to keep the unit’s performance noise-free and medium load on its power.
- Fully modular cables mean you can take them in and out and utilize only the ones that are necessary.
- Cables are also quick and easy to install with convenient cable management.
- At the time of the purchase, you will also get a cable bag meant to store away the cables when they are not in use.
- This is handy since storing such accessories for a long period of time mostly means you will forget where you kept them after months.
- Another catchy feature is that Corsair RM750 supports Standby mode in Windows 10.
- This helps the PC turn on quickly, in fact, it will only take less than 5 seconds to come to life.
- Corsair RM750 is an ideal choice for customers who are on a tight budget and wish to enjoy an impeccable performance without emptying their pockets.
Brand: Corsair | Model Number: CP-9020179-NA | Product Weight: 3.65 pounds | Product Dimensions: 6.3 x 5.91 x 3.39 inches | Color: 80PLUS Gold | Size: 750 Watt |
This was an evident improvement over Type 3 cable structure of Corsair RM750. It helped regulate the voltage and keep the load of the power supply unit under check. Check Price from Amazon
Review of Corsair Corsair RMX
This series was launched in 2015 as an alternative to the RM series for customers who were not willing to compromise on the quality of the capacitors. Moreover, the manufacturers were keen to introduce some other improvements as well.
There were a number of features that were retained in the RMX series. These included the zero RMP mode to enable the noise-free operation and 135 mm rifle bearing as well. Now let’s have a look at features that were enhanced in order to make the RMX series more desirable.
The first change was to install up-to-date capacitors. Corsair RMX series was equipped with 105-degrees capacitors that can perform well at high temperatures.
Therefore, it was deemed safer to use without the fear of malfunction. This was reflected in the warranty time that Corsair promised for this series. Customers can enjoy swooping 7 years of completely guaranteed use.
Furthermore, as we mentioned in the pros of Corsair RMX, it came with a more extensive power line. You can choose from low wattage of 550 W, 650 W, 750 W, 850 W, and 1000 W.
Another difference is that RMX has Type 4 cables which means it carries additional 4 pins and capacitors. This was an evident improvement over the Type 3 cable structure of Corsair RM750. It helped regulate the voltage and keep the load of the power supply unit under check.
The last thing Corsair manufacturers had to take care of was how troubles customers felt when using bulky dongles and inefficient Link software. What could the possible solution be? Remove the software altogether!
As you can see, Corsair RMX undoubtedly came with multiple enhancements. However, it also carried a pricey tag so users really had to be smart when choosing between the features they need and deciding how much they should be spending on it.
- RMX series have more advanced protective features as compared with its previous competitor.
- Some of the improvements that were installed to ensure a safer user experience included Over current protection, over-voltage protection, under-voltage protection, short circuit protection, and over-temperature protection.
- Over-current protection shuts off the power supply unit when there is a current overload.
- Over/under voltage protection keeps the voltage of the device under control and it quickly turns off the power if any rapid fluctuation takes place.
- Short circuit protection, as the name implies, is the feature that comes into place to save the gadget in case a short circuit happens.
- The last protective feature i.e. over-temperature protection shuts off the rail in case the temperature rises too much.
- Next, RMX is made of Type 4 cables with additional 6-pin cables for SATA use and peripheral power.
- Similar to the RM series, this model also allowed for minimal noise pollution while in operation. This was made possible by installing a smart fan controller that only begins when the PSU reaches a specific value.
- RMX model has a 160 mm casing. Since the size is an important factor to consider when most customers are making the purchase, this model gets extra points because it fits into all modern PCs.
- Japanese capacitors proved to be more reliable than Chinese counterparts that were installed in RM Corsair models.
Take-Home Message – Corsair RM vs RMX
After going through the review, we can safely conclude that one of the most basic differences between Corsair RM vs RMX is their cost. Corsair RMX, being the latest version, is a bit expensive as it carries minor other improvements as well.
However, the good news for customers with a tight budget is that Corsair RM is equally competent and reliable for long-term use. It is equipped with all the features that one expects from a good power supply unit so you don’t have to feel sad about sticking to an older product. In fact, many buyers have pointed out that they were so happy with Corsair RM performance that they never considered upgrading.
What are your thoughts? We would love to hear about your reviews on PSUs offered by Corsair and other brands. If you want us to cover a comparison guide for other products you have been interested in reading about, let us know in the comment section below. We will be more than happy to write a review for you!