Did you get yourself a new home internet network under budget? But wait! How will you choose the router, if you got a tie between USG vs EdgeRouter?
We don’t expect this to be an easy decision, but there are a lot of features, you can look into before picking out a final choice. Let’s have a look!
Considering USG, there are only two real advantages. First of all, they work great when you have an internet connection below 100 Mbit/s.
Secondly, they stand equipped with site-to-site VPN as well as Intrusion Prevention System (IPS).
What about a faster CPU? EdgeRouter has a clear win here.
Therefore, it is a better choice if you need features such as Deep Packet Inspection and Queue Shaping or Firewall rules.
Where USG will let you stay with the Unifi line, the EdgeRouter is cheaper and faster. In contrast, USG runs slower, whereas EdgeRouter is typically difficult to configure.
Moreover, EdgeRouters can handle internet connections up to 1 Gbit/s with a price typically less than $50.
We are hoping this detailed comparison will help you choose between USG vs EdgeRouter (Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway vs Ubiquiti Networks Networks Router.)
We will jump into the technical difference, advantages, disadvantages, and specifications of the two devices to let you pick out a far better choice for yourself.
USG vs EdgeRouter – Comparative Assessment
Ubiquiti is famous for manufacturing networking products. These include routers for spectrum, wireless gadgets, etc. The recent models are now capable of serving broad range connectivity.
Therefore, they have been an ideal option not only for home networks but also for the large-sized Enterprise environments.
Ubiquiti uses the network effect of social connection as part of its business pattern. This is dubious among hardware companies founded in the generation before social networking was even a thing
The comparison between Ubiquiti USG vs EdgeRouter is aimed at attracting the audience from a similar market.
- 3 Gigabit Ethernet ports, CLI management for advanced users
- Ubiquiti Networks EdgeRouter X ER-X (5-Port) Advanced Gigabit Ethernet Router 5W 10/10/1000 24V Passive PoE
In particular, this is the reason these two have been very often compared amongst users from domestic and professional fields.
So, this article will describe the two models, Ubiquiti USG and Ubiquiti Networks EdgeRouter X by diving deep into the details of each device. Let’s Go!
Brand Name: Ubiquiti Networks | Model Number: USG | Wireless Type: 802.11.b | Weight: 12.3 ounces | Dimensions: 1 x 1 x 1 inches | Voltage: 240 Volts |
IPS and IDS help you keep an eye on the content of the traffic and identify any cyber threats or attacks. Check Price from Amazon
Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway Review
USG is an excellent choice if you have other Unifi devices in your network. In case you are planning to buy other products in the Unifi series then it is best to consider USG.
In other words, it is an excellent replacement for a consumer router in a small office or home environment because the USG model is easier to manage and configure.
Not only just it provides much more speed but also is meant for regular consumer usage when compared throughout with other routers.
- The specifications for CPU and RAM are too good for the small device. However, the performance might be affected by enabling IPS and IDS.
- The speed throughput for Ubiquiti USG is quite impressive. It offers 1 Million PPS and a line rate of 3 Gbps with larger packets.
- This means the device can easily handle the traffic demands of a small to medium network.
Unifi Controller Management Software
- All the Unifi devices can easily be configured and managed using Unifi Controller Management Software.
- This provides a centralized management platform that is typical of both USG and EdgeRouter X.
- When it comes to USG, the management options include off-site and on-site management with the Unifi Cloud Controller and an Unifi Cloud Key.
- The option of Cloud Key stands out because it is a Linux PC controlling the Unifi software. Thus basically a hybrid management approach for cloud and local access.
EdgeOS Software For Improved Performance
- Vyatta’s OS has now forked to introduce the EdgeOS that is powering both USG and EdgeRouter devices.
- Analogous to making permanent changes to the configuration of USG, you need to access the controller filesystem and introduce the required alterations in the JSON file.
- This would allow for custom changes that are not possible using the GUI interface.
Advanced Security Features
- When it comes to how “safe” the network is, USG offers everything that EdgeRouter is capable of but it has something extra in stock for you too.
- USG supports IPS and IDS. This feature helps to keep an eye on the content of the traffic and identify any cyber-attacks or threats.
- To top it up, the site-to-site VPN offered by USG is easier to configure and the GUI as compared to EdgeRouter.
Convenient VLAN Support
- USG is the ultimate solution to traffic management problems.
- The Unifi Security Gateway offers you a chance to create virtual network segments for enhanced security as well as better management of network traffic.
Brand Name: Ubiquiti Networks | Model Number: ER-X | Wireless Type: N/A | Weight: 6.2 ounces | Dimensions: 7.4 x 3.6 x 0.87 inches | Voltage: 12 Volts |
Have a look at your whole network in a single go! Zoom out for the topology view for all the Ubiquiti devices. Check Price from Amazon
Ubiquiti Networks EdgeRouter Review
Ubiquiti Networks has yet again amused its users by launching the EdgeRouter as part of the EdgeMAX platform.
What is so special here?
To begin with, the EdgeRouter combines the excellent price to performance value with first-class reliability.
This device is an upgrade when you consider the advanced security features, ease of monitoring and management as well as sophisticated routing features.
In addition to this, it comes in an ultra-compact form, meaning it is ready to fit anywhere you want it to.
Another alternative is to use 24V passive PoE input. The passthrough option is available to support an individual airMAX device.
Great Price to Performace Value
- The Ubiquiti Networks EdgeRouter has lived up to its reputation by offering a great combination of value and performance.
- Certainly, with a price of just $59, it is a reliable option to consider when you are looking for something affordable without compromising on the service quality.
- Now have complete control over your network by using Ubiquiti Network Management System.
- The EdgeRouter comes equipped with UNMS that is not only a comprehensive controller but also offers an intuitive user-interface.
- Furthermore, the UNMS allows a single control plane to manage all the registered EdgeMAX devices across multiple sites.
Passive PoE Input
- An external adapter powers the EdgeRouter.
- Another alternative is to use 24V passive PoE input. The passthrough option is available to support an individual airMAX device.
Gigabit Connectivity and Much More!
- The EdgeRouter offers up to 5 independent Gigabit ports. These are flexible and open to configuration for switching.
- Precisely, this device includes an integrated Command-line interface which makes it convenient to access advanced features and functions.
- The EdgeOS comes with robust features that include DHCP services, Ipv6 support, Firewall policies, and NAT rules.
- This operating system also works well with Network administration and monitoring tools.
- Moreover, you will have static routes and support of routing protocols including BGP, OSPF, and RIP.
Configuration By CLI
- You will, surely, get a quick and easy configuration with EdgeRouter.
- The configuration feature by CLI lets you monitor all advanced features, provides direct access to standard Linux tools and easy use of shell commands.
Ubiquiti USG vs EdgeRouter: Final Verdict
We are sure, by now you would have a clear idea about the main similarities and differences between USG vs EdgeRouter. Let us wrap it for you for a quick overview!
USG is a better choice if you want to manage all the devices centrally from the same controller software. Another catch for USG is that it is super easy to configure to manage.
What about ER? It offers more control and flexibility while setting up. Furthermore, you will know at every step where you head with networking and security. So, what will your final choice be? Let us know in the comment section below!