For someone like me with pollen allergy, Roomba 880 vs 870 will be a life-saver, especially if you are looking for an efficient vacuum cleaner that could ensure a dust-free living space.
It can be cumbersome to find one good product that suits all your cleaning needs but iRobot vacuum cleaners have made the job easier.
Moreover, the major reason is that they have gradually improved their models over time by keeping in view the changing needs of the customers.
For example, the newer cleaners have inclined brushes to clean corners and dirt sensors for recognizing spots that need a thorough cleaning.
In this article, we would be reviewing two of the top picks from the iRobot Roomba lineup of vacuum cleaners.
Due to the unavailability of Roomba 870, we are comparing Roomba 891 vs Roomba 880.
Roomba 880 vs 891 – Comparative Analysis
Roomba 880 is an older model and therefore it is missing out on a number of features that Roomba 891 has. We will explore each of them here, one by one.
To start things off, Roomba 891 is heavier than its competitor. That might be because of the extra sensors and few new brushes that have been installed.
Furthermore, Roomba 891 features voice control. This ensures easier navigation when you are too lazy to grab the remote or manually assign tasks to the cleaner. Unfortunately, this is not possible with Roomba 880.
- Moreover, Roomba 891 is also compatible with the iRobot app.
The application can work on both, iOS and Androids. Moreover, it will let you schedule cleaning time, access support representatives, check-in new cleaning tricks or enable notifications for assigned tasks.
[amazon box=”B00IO9PBPS,B07P83SJK2″ template=”horizontal”]
Luckily, both vacuum cleaners can perform well on different floor types. However, Roomba 891 has been certified for thorough cleaning on carpet, hardwood, vinyl, etc.
- Lastly, a number of new sensors have been introduced in the latest models.
For example, the anti-cliff sensor ensures the cleaner does not fall off stairs, and the dirt detection sensor which smartly recognizes the spots that need more cleaning.
- There are a number of features that are similar in the two products as well.
For example, both of them have an in-built auto-docking system, multi-surface brushes, and tangle-free extractors that make the cleaning job easier.
I am sure you are still confused about which one to choose so let us take a closer look at what Roomba 880 and Roomba 891 can do for you.
Brand Name: iRobot | Model Number: R880020 | Weight: 8.4 lbs | Dimensions: 13.9 x 13.9 x 3.6 inches | Batteries: 4 D batteries | Components: Virtual Wall Lighthouse (2), HEPA Filter, Aeroforce Extractors (2), Home Base, Power Cord, Remote Control.
Roomba 880 features a state-of-the-art aeroforce cleaning system that does better cleaning with 5x the air power. Check Price from Amazon
Review of Roomba 880
Roomba 880 has been equipped with a range of features that allow the vacuum to get done with cleaning around the house easily and quickly.
The first feature worth highlighting is its super-sleek navigation. The iAdapt navigation system lets the vacuum make use of two different modes for moving in the house.
Additionally, you can select the Lighthouse mode for room-to-room cleaning or the Virtual Wall mode for restricting the vacuum’s movement to a certain area.
Moreover, the AeroForce Cleaning system ensures the vacuum gets the job done efficiently. It provides 5X airpower, reduced the need for day-to-day maintenance, and lets you program cleaning sessions throughout the week.
Moreover, it utilizes a combination of brushes and cleaning modes to remove any stain, debris, dust, from different types of floors. Furthermore, the in-built extractors ensure that no fiber or hair gets stuck in the brush and cause clogging.
Besides these fancy features, the device has a very simple operation.
You only have to press the start button and let the vacuum do its magic. When the session is complete or the device is running low on battery, it will automatically dock itself for recharging.
AeroForce Cleaning System
- Roomba 880 is capable of cleaning multiple rooms with different types of floors.
- The system allows it to provide 5X airpower with the least amount of maintenance needed.
- You can also schedule the device to work 7X per week.
- The dimensions of the vacuum have been specifically designed to clean surfaces under small furniture.
- The vacuum is equipped with two different modes for easy navigation around the house.
- In the Lighthouse mode, you can send the Roomba 880 from one room to the next when it is done cleaning. This is applicable for up to 3 rooms.
- Moreover, in the Virtual Wall mode, you can program the vacuum to stay out of a few rooms and clean in specific areas only.
Low Profile Design
- The vacuum weighs just 8.4 lbs. This is lighter than its competitor Roomba 891.
- Therefore, with this weight, you can easily move or store the device anywhere you want.
- Its height is 3.6 inches which allow it to move under beds, cupboards, and other small furniture to complete the cleaning process efficiently.
- There is no science involved when it comes to how the vacuum operates. You just need to press the start button and you are good to go.
- Roomba 880 also features an in-built self-charging feature.
- The vacuum will automatically move back to the dock when the battery is running out.
- You can also schedule the cleaning sessions with this device for up to 7X per week.
Multiple Cleaning Stages
- Roomba 880 completes the cleaning 3 different steps including agitation, brushing, and suction.
- It also hosts a number of different brushes to deal with different types of stains and locations.
- For example, the spinning side brushes have been designed to clean the edges of the room and spaces around the corner of the furniture, etc.
Tangle Free Extractors
- This technology further aids the cleaning process by ensuring that the brushes do not clog with hair or debris.
- The extractors help to remove any such residue on the vacuum.
Brand Name: iRobot | Model Number: R891020 | Weight: 12.67 lbs | Dimensions: 13.9 x 13.9 x 3.59 inches | Batteries: 1 Lithium-ion batteries | Components: Virtual Wall Lighthouse (2), HEPA Filter, Aeroforce Extractors (2), Home Base, Power Cord, Remote Control.
Roomba 891 is fully compatible with Alexa and integrates quite nicely with all other devices that are being managed by Alexa. Check Price from Amazon
Review of Roomba 891
Being a superior model, the Roomba 891 definitely has some perks to its name.
The first improvement is that many more sensors have been installed in this vacuum cleaner. So, they help the device work more efficiently, avoid falling off, or quickly decide on its navigation.
In addition to that, the new Roomba 891 also offers voice-enabled control. Therefore, you can integrate the vacuum with Alexa or Google Assistant for easier control over its operation.
The efficiency of its cleaning capabilities has also been improved overall floor types. It gets the job done thoroughly with a 3-stage cleaning system and multi-surface brushes.
If you further need any tips on how to improve cleaning with Roomba 891 vacuum cleaner, you can always access the iRobot app built specifically for this purpose. The app also lets you schedule sessions, contact support team, and receive notifications related to cleaning tasks.
Efficient For All Floor Types
- Perhaps the biggest advantage of choosing Roomba 891 is that it is capable of cleaning different floor types.
- Additionally, the vacuum cleaner is equipped with multi-surface brushes that adjust according to the floor that needs cleaning.
- Furthermore, the Auto-Adjust cleaning head comes in constant with carpets and hard floors more closely and ensures thorough cleaning of each surface.
AeroForce 3-Stage Cleaning System
- Just like Roomba 880, the 891 model also provides up to 5X air power.
- Furthermore, it utilizes an AeroForce 3-stage cleaning system to efficiently remove dust, debris, and fibers from the surface.
- It also hosts tangle-free multi-surface brushes that can take of hair strands of fibers that get trapped in the bristles.
Up-To-Date Dirt Detect Technology
- One of the improvements installed in this vacuum was the latest dirt detect technology.
- The in-built sensors allow the device to recognize areas that are dirtier such as hallways where visitors step more frequently.
- The technology then directs the vacuum cleaner to concentrate more on such areas and clean these spots with extra care.
- Roomba 891 is compatible with voice control of Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
- You can verbally order the cleaner to start, stop, or dock itself when needed.
- It is also compatible with the iRobot app that will allow you to schedule the cleaning time whenever you wish to.
- The mobile app will also let you access the support program or tips that make the cleaning job easier.
Thorough Cleaning System
- The cleaner is equipped with special Edge-Sweeping brushes inclined at 27-degrees.
- Furthermore, the brushes help to clean dust and stains from edges of the room or the corners of beds, sideboards, etc.
- The highly-efficient HEPA filters also ensure that all the trapped dust, allergen, pollens, or any particle as small as 10 microns does not escape back into the room.
- Roomba has increased the number of navigation sensors available on this model.
- It uses a combination of multiple sensors to process more than 60 decisions in a second.
- Additionally, there are cliff-detection sensors to ensure the cleaners do not fall off stairs or roof-tops.
Find a Verdict on Roomba 880 vs 870 (891)
If you want to make use of a full range of features, it makes sense to go for the more expensive Roomba 891 model. With additions like voice control, mobile app, and multiple sensors, this vacuum cleaner will ensure that all your needs are met.
However, customers on a tight budget should not be disappointed either. The alternative, Roomba 880, is equally efficient in cleaning multiple rooms and providing the best services.
We really want to hear about your experience with Roomba vacuum cleaners. Keeping us informed by posting in the comment section below. Happy shopping!