iRobot has produced a range of robotic vacuums that sometimes leave the customers puzzled. In this article, we are going to help you decide between Roomba 880 vs 890.
Although all Roomba vacuums have their own advantages and disadvantages, each series additionally has its perks. Therefore, when looking for a Roomba vacuum the first thing should be to decide on the series.
- Going forward with the 800 series, this article takes on a difficult task of comparing two vacuums from the same series.
- iAdapt Multi Room Navigation uses a full suite of sensors to navigate and adapt to your changing home
- Capacity volume: 0.62 liter; Power Lifting Suction delivers 5X the air power for improved pick up performance
- Cleans all floor types - The Auto-Adjust cleaning head automatically adapts is height to keep the Multi-Surface Brushes in close contact with different floor surfaces, effectively cleaning carpets and hard floors
Though both, Roomba 880 vs 890, belongs to the same series allowing them to have several similarities, some worth-mentioning differences will tip the balance.
Go through the comparative analysis section to quickly make up your mind in favour of any one of the vacuums. Additionally, you can find detailed analysis in deeper sections.
Roomba 880 vs 890 – Comparative Analysis
Roomba 890 is a newer model and therefore it has several things added to it. We’ll see in detail what differences and similarities these two models have.
For starters, both devices have similar size and weight. However, Roomba 890 has a dull copper-coloured ring on top with fewer buttons as compared to Roomba 880.
Furthermore, Roomba 890 can be voice-controlled ensuring an easier way of commanding the robot in comparison to remote-controlled Roomba 880.
The application will work on both, iOS and Android OS. In addition to controlling the device, it will let you schedule cleaning time, access support representatives, and enable notifications for assigned tasks.
Most importantly, both vacuum robots will give a similar performance on different floor types. However, Roomba 890 is equipped with edge-sweeping brushes to perform deeper cleaning.
Moreover, Dirt Detect Sensors allow Roomba 890 to perform thorough cleaning at dirtier or more used places. Additionally, auto-adjustment of cleaning brushes allows it to maintain good contact with the surface.
As far as the batteries are concerned, once again Roomba 890 features a newer type of battery, that is, Lithium-ion, whereas Roomba 880 has Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries.
- Apart from these differences, several features are similar in the two products as well.
For example, both of them have multi-surface brushes and tangle-free extractors that make the cleaning job easier, in addition to an in-built auto-docking system.
Lastly, it is evident that with lesser features, Roomba 880 has a lower price tag on it as compared to Roomba 890.
Though we have described most of the things necessary for making up your mind of one or the other device if you are still confused to follow the rest of the article to get a deeper understanding of Roomba 880 vs 890.
Brand Name: iRobot | Model Number: R880020 | Weight: 8.4 lbs | Dimensions: 13.9 x 13.9 x 3.6 inches | Batteries: 4 D batteries | Components: Virtual Wall Lighthouse (2), HEPA Filter, Aeroforce Extractors (2), Home Base, Power Cord, Remote Control.
Utilizing the state-of-the-art aeroforce 3-stage cleaning system and 5x the airpower, Roomba 880 delivers a good overall performance. Check Price from Amazon
Review of Roomba 880
Roomba 880 houses all basic features to get the cleaning job done efficiently.
The first feature worth highlighting is its advanced navigation. The iAdapt navigation system lets the vacuum make use of two different modes for moving in the house.
You can select the Virtual Wall mode for restricting the vacuum’s working in a defined area or the Lighthouse mode for multi-room cleaning.
Moreover, the AeroForce 3- Stage Cleaning system ensures the vacuum gets the job done efficiently. It provides 5x the air power for more thorough cleaning allowing you to have lesser cleaning sessions.
It utilizes a combination of brushes and cleaning modes to remove any stain, debris, dust, from different types of floors. Furthermore, the in-built tangle-free extractors make sure that no hair or fibre gets strangled in the brushes.
Additionally, you don’t have to check the bin manually to see if it is full and needs cleaning or not. There is an indicator of that which will tell you when it’s the time to clean the bin.
Only a single press of the start button will make the device do the magic. When the cleaning session is done or the battery level falls below critical, it’ll automatically dock itself for recharging.
AeroForce Cleaning System
- Roomba 880 has the capability of cleaning multiple rooms with different types of floors.
- The powerful motors allow it to provide 5X airpower with the least amount of maintenance needed.
- You can also schedule the device to work 7X per week.
- The size of the vacuum has been specifically maintained to clean surfaces under low-reaching furniture.
- The vacuum is equipped with two different modes for easy navigation around the house.
- In the Lighthouse mode, you can send the Roomba 880 from one room to up to 3 rooms when it is done cleaning.
- In the Virtual Wall mode, you can limit the vacuum to stay in a certain area only.
Low Profile Design
- The vacuum weighs just 8.4 lbs.
- With this weight, you can easily move or store the device.
- Its height is 3.6 inches which allow it to move under furniture to complete the cleaning process efficiently.
- You just simply need to press the start button and you are good to go.
- Roomba 880 also has an in-built self-charging feature.
- The vacuum will automatically move back to the dock when it senses that the battery is running low.
- You can also schedule the cleaning sessions beforehand for up to 7x per week.
Multiple Cleaning Stages
- Roomba 880 completes the cleaning through 3 different steps including agitation, brushing, and suction.
- It also hosts multiple brushes to deal with different types of stains and locations.
- For example, the spinning side brushes have been designed to clean the edges of the room and spaces around the corner of the furniture, etc.
Tangle Free Extractors
- This technology further aids the cleaning process by ensuring that hairs or debris don’t clog the brushes.
- The extractors help to remove any such residue on the vacuum.
Brand Name: iRobot | Model Number: R890020 | Weight: 8.4 lbs | Dimensions: 13 x 13 x 3.6 inches | Batteries: 2 AA Lithium Ion | Components: Virtual Wall Lighthouse (2), HEPA Filter, Aeroforce Extractors (2), Home Base, Power Cord, Extra Filter.
Roomba 890 is fully compatible with Alexa, or even Google Assistant, so that you may control it via simple voice commands. Check Price from Amazon
Review of Roomba 890
- Being a superior model, the Roomba 890 definitely has some perks as compared to Roomba 880.
The first improvement is that many more sensors have been installed in this vacuum cleaner. They help the device work more efficiently, avoid falling off, or quickly decide on its navigation.
In addition to that, the new Roomba 890 also offers voice-enabled control. You can integrate the vacuum with Alexa or Google Assistant for easier control over its operation.
The efficiency of its cleaning capabilities has also been improved overall floor types. Therefore, it gets the job done thoroughly with a 3-stage cleaning system and multi-surface brushes.
- It also has an auto-adjust cleaning function to automatically adjust the brushes heights to maintain good contact with the surfaces.
If you further need any tips on how to improve cleaning with Roomba 890 vacuum cleaner, you can always access the iRobot app built specifically for this purpose. The app also lets you schedule sessions, contact support team, and receive notifications related to cleaning tasks.
Efficient For All Floor Types
- Perhaps the biggest advantage of choosing Roomba 890 is that it is capable of cleaning different floor types.
- The vacuum cleaner is equipped with multi-surface brushes, which adjust according to the floor that needs cleaning.
- Furthermore, the Auto-Adjust cleaning head comes in contact with carpets and hard floors more closely and ensures thorough cleaning of each surface.
AeroForce 3-Stage Cleaning System
- Just like Roomba 880, the 890 model also provides up to 5x air power.
- It utilizes an AeroForce 3-stage cleaning system to efficiently remove dust, debris, in addition to fibers from the surface.
- It also hosts tangle-free multi-surface brushes that can take of hair strands of fibers that get trapped in the bristles.
Up-To-Date Dirt Detect Technology
- One of the improvements installed in this vacuum is the latest dirt detect technology.
- The in-built sensors allow the device to point out areas that need deeper cleaning such as hallways where visitors step more frequently.
- The technology then directs the vacuum cleaner to spend more time on such areas and clean these spots thoroughly.
- Roomba 890 is compatible with voice control of Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
- Therefore, you can verbally direct the vacuum to start, stop, or dock itself.
- Moreover, it is compatible with the iRobot HOME app that will allow you to schedule the cleaning time whenever you wish to.
Thorough Cleaning System
- The cleaner is equipped with special Edge-Sweeping brushes.
- Therefore, the brushes help to clean dust and stains from edges of the room or the corners of beds, sideboards, etc.
- The highly-efficient HEPA filters also ensure that all the trapped dust, allergen, pollen, etc. remain trapped inside the bin.
Common Features of Roomba 880 vs 890
Although both models have mentionable differences, the fact that both belong to the same 800 series allows both vacuums to have a number of similarities as well.
Firstly, both make use of the AeroForce 3-Stage Cleaning System for delivering an effective cleaning job. The HEPA standard AeroForce filters in both of these vacuums don’t allow the fine dust particles or allergens to escape back into the room.
Secondly, both robotic vacuums can deliver equally good performance on multiple types of floors. Whether you have a hard floor or carpeted rooms, both vacuums can perform cleaning tasks equally well.
Apart from delivering reasonable performance on multiple types of floors, both vacuums are equipped with tangle-free extractors. These will make sure no hair or fiber gets clogged in the vacuum.
Moving on, both vacuums have similar battery timings. They can perform normal cleaning operations for around 90 minutes. Moreover, both can sense the level of remaining charge and can automatically dock themselves for recharging if the battery level falls below 10%.
Another very useful feature which both of these vacuums have is the ‘Bin Full’ indicator. You don’t have to keep an eye on the status of the cleaning bin. Once the bin needs emptying, the ‘Full Bin’ indicator will light up signaling that you should clean the bin.
Apart from these similarities, you won’t find any mentionable resemblances between the two vacuum robots.
Final Words on Roomba 880 vs 890
If you desire more number of features then its logical to go for the more expensive Roomba 890 model. With addons like voice control, mobile app, superior battery, and virtual wall barriers, this vacuum robot will ensure that all your needs are met.
However, customers on a low budget may opt Roomba 880, which is equally efficient as far as the cleaning process is concerned.
No matter what your choice is, do leave feedback in the comments section. Happy shopping!