iRobot has produced several efficient and affordable robotic vacuums over the years. In this article, we are going to help you decide between Roomba 850 vs 890.
Although every series of Roomba vacuums have their specialities, there are several similarities as well. Limiting our discussion, in this article we are going to compare and review three Roomba vacuums from the same series.
- Going forward with the 800 series, this article takes up the task of presenting three models of Roomba vacuums belong to this series.
- Cleans all floor types - The Auto-Adjust cleaning head automatically adapts is height to keep the Multi-Surface Brushes in close contact with different floor surfaces, effectively cleaning carpets and hard floors
- iAdapt Multi Room Navigation uses a full suite of sensors to navigate and adapt to your changing home
- Capacity volume: 0.62 liter; Power Lifting Suction delivers 5X the air power for improved pick up performance
Though both, Roomba 850 vs 890 vs 880 are from the same series, some worth mentioning differences will surely bend your decision towards a particular vacuum.
Before diving deep into the details of these awesome devices, the following section quickly presents a shallow comparison of three considered vacuums. However, an in-detail review of all three devices will follow.
Roomba 850 vs 890 vs 880 – Comparative Analysis
Roomba 890 is a newer model among the three considered ones and therefore has more features added to it. We’ll see in detail what differences and similarities these models have.
- To start with Roomba 850 is the oldest and hence the largest in size and heaviest in weight out of these three devices.
As far as the outlook is concerned, Roomba 850 and 880 have exactly similar hardware design except for the color. Roomba 850 has a lighter color in comparison to the all-black 880 and copper-shaded 890.
- Roomba 890 has a lesser number of buttons on its top side.
Furthermore, only Roomba 890 can be voice-controlled in comparison to remote-controlled Roomba 850 and 880.
The iRobot app works on both, iOS and Android OS. Apart from controlling the device from the app you can manage the cleaning schedule, access support representatives, and view the status of the current task.
- Additionally, Roomba 890 can also be voice-controlled via Alexa or Google Assistant.
Most importantly, all three vacuum robots will give a similar performance on different floor types. They have the same AeroForce 3-Stange Cleaning System deployed on them.
Moreover, auto-adjust cleaning allows these devices to adjust the brushes’ height for optimal contact with the floor.
The tangle-free multi-surface brushes ensure that no device gets clogged with hairs or any kind of fiber. However, Roomba 890 is additionally, equipped with edge-sweeping brushes to perform deeper cleaning.
As far as navigation is concerned, Roomba 850 has the most primitive way of navigating. It uses sensors to turn away in random directions whenever an obstacle is encountered.
However, Roomba 880 utilizes the iAdapt navigation system along with Virtual Wall Lighthouse Beacon to restrict the area of cleaning. Moreover, it can automatically clean up to 3 adjacent rooms.
- Moreover, Roomba 890 uses Dirt Detect Sensors to detect and perform thorough cleaning at dirtier or more used places.
As far as the batteries are concerned, both Roomba 850 and 880 use older Nickel Metal Hydride batteries as compared to the newer Lithium-ion type battery of Roomba 890.
Moving on, all three devices use a similar type of high-efficiency filters to trap dust, allergens, and pretty much any particle of even 10-micron size.
- As for the recharging, all three devices can sense the depleting battery and return to the charging dock automatically.
Though all three devices running time is advertised as 90 minutes, Roomba 850, based on customer feedback, works for about 40 minutes only before returning to its dock.
Though we have presented a comparison of all major features of Roomba 850 vs 890 vs 880, you may still have some confusion in your mind. If that’s true, then read the rest of the article to find in detail about the three vacuum robots.
Brand Name: iRobot | Model Number: 850 | Weight: 9 lbs | Dimensions: 14 x 14 x 3.6 inches | Batteries: 1 AAA NiMH Battery | Surface Type: Hard Floor, Carpet
Though Roomba 850 comes with a remote control only, you can still schedule your cleaning task using it. Check Price from Amazon
Review of Roomba 850
Roomba 850 has just enough resources to perform the cleaning job effectively.
The first feature worth mentioning is its AeroForce 3-Stage Cleaning System. It has different brushes to implement the cleaning system. This system will work equally well on hard floors and carpets.
- Moreover, the ability to auto-adjust the height of the brushes allows this vacuum to make good contact with the floor at all times.
As far as the navigation capability of the Roomba 850 is concerned, it has precise sensors that allow it to avoid any kind of obstacle. The responsive sensors provide feedback fast enough to avoid any collision.
Furthermore, it comes with a rechargeable NiMH battery and a charging dock. Once the battery level falls below critical, Roomba 850 will automatically dock itself for recharging.
As for the price, Roomba 850 is the most affordable choice among the three vacuums considered in this article.
3-Stage Cleaning System
- Roomba 850, utilizing a patented 3-Stage Cleaning system, can clean up to 3 adjacent rooms with different types of floors.
- The powerful motors generate 5x times more suction pressure as compared to 600 or 700 series Roombas.
- Though Roomba 850 is not compatible with any mobile app, you can still schedule the device to work 7x per week using the remote control.
- A full suite of sensors is dedicated for navigation purposes.
- Furthermore, thanks to its size and intelligent navigation sensors, Roomba 850 can clean your room even from under the furniture.
- Simply a push of the start button will get things going.
- Moreover, you don’t need to worry about the battery levels, because Roomba 850 will automatically dock itself if the battery is running low.
- Additionally, there’s a ‘Bin Full’ indicator that will glow when the dust-bin needs emptying.
Tangle Free Extractors
- The intelligent design of the extractors makes sure that hairs, fibers, or any kind of debris don’t get clogged in the brushes.
- The extractors, additionally, help to remove any such residue on the vacuum.
Brand Name: iRobot | Model Number: R890020 | Weight: 8.4 lbs | Dimensions: 13 x 13 x 3.6 inches | Batteries: 2 AA Lithium Ion | Components: Virtual Wall Lighthouse (2), HEPA Filter, Aeroforce Extractors (2), Home Base, Power Cord, Extra Filter.
The Wi-Fi connectivity allows Roomba 890 to be fully controlled via iRobot HOME App, Alexa, or even Google Assistant. Check Price from Amazon
Review of Roomba 890
Being a newer and superior model, the Roomba 890 definitely has some perks as compared to Roomba 850 or Roomba 880.
The first upturn is that several sensors have been installed in this vacuum cleaner to increase the overall efficiency. They help the device to avoid falling off or quickly decide on its navigation.
Moreover, the new Roomba 890 has a Wi-Fi connectivity option. Therefore, you can either control it via the iRobot HOME app or with voice commands via Alexa or Google Assistant.
The cleaning performance has also been uplifted for all floor types. Therefore, it gets the job done quite nicely, thanks to a 3-stage cleaning system and multi-surface brushes.
- Furthermore, an auto-adjust cleaning function automatically adjusts the height of the brushes to maintain effective contact with the floor.
Additionally, you can always access the iRobot app to access various features of Roomba 890 and tune it to perform even better. The app also lets you schedule cleaning tasks, receive notifications about the status of the tasks, contact support team, and many other things.
Efficient For All Floor Types
- The vacuum cleaner has multi-surface brushes, which auto-adjust according to the floor that needs cleaning.
- It can deliver equally well performance on hard floors or carpeted ones.
AeroForce 3-Stage Cleaning System
- Just like Roomba 850 and 880, the 890 model also provides up to 5x airpower as compared to 600 or 700 series Roombas.
- Additionally, it utilizes an AeroForce 3-stage cleaning system to clean any dust, debris, or fibers from the surface.
- The tangle-free multi-surface brushes don’t get clogged with hairs or fibers.
Up-To-Date Dirt Detect Technology
- One of the most important upgrades is the installation of Dirt Detect technology.
- The in-built sensors allow the device to find areas that need a thorough cleaning, for example, hallways where visitors step more frequently.
- The technology then directs the vacuum cleaner to spend a bit more time in such areas and clean even harder.
- Roomba 890 is fully compatible with the voice commands of Alexa and Google Assistant.
- Therefore, you can verbally ask the vacuum to start or stop the cleaning task or even dock itself.
- Moreover, the iRobot HOME app may also be used to manage Roomba 890.
- This allows you to schedule the cleaning task whenever you wish to, or check on how the device is doing.
Thorough Cleaning System
- The cleaner has special Edge-Sweeping brushes.
- The brushes help to remove dust and stains, especially from edges of the room or the corners of beds, sideboards, etc.
- Moreover, the high-efficiency HEPA filters also ensure that all the trapped dust, allergen, pollen, etc. doesn’t leak back into the room.
Brand Name: iRobot | Model Number: R880020 | Weight: 8.4 lbs | Dimensions: 13.9 x 13.9 x 3.6 inches | Batteries: 4 D batteries | Components: Virtual Wall Lighthouse (2), HEPA Filter, Aeroforce Extractors (2), Home Base, Power Cord, Remote Control.
The state-of-the-art, patented AeroForce 3-stage cleaning system and 5x the airpower allows Roomba 880 delivers a good overall performance. Check Price from Amazon
Review of Roomba 880
Roomba 880 has enough features to get the cleaning job done neatly.
The first aspect worth writing about is its advanced navigation. The iAdapt navigation system lets Roomba 880 navigate the cleaning area via two different modes.
- Virtual Wall mode allows you to restrict the working area by using virtual wall barriers, whereas Lighthouse made is used for cleaning multiple rooms.
Furthermore, the patented AeroForce 3-Stage Cleaning system ensures the vacuum gets the job done efficiently. Powerful motors provide 5x the airpower, as compared to 600 or 700 series, for thorough cleaning allowing you to have lesser cleaning sessions.
Multiple brushes and cleaning modes can effectively remove any stain, debris, dust, from different types of floors. Furthermore, the intelligently designed tangle-free extractors make sure that nothing gets strangled in the brushes.
Additionally, there’s no need to check the bin manually. The ‘Bin Full’ indicator will notify you when its time to clean the bin.
A single press of the start button will make the device do its job. Moreover, when it finishes cleaning or the battery level drops to critical, it’ll automatically dock itself for recharging.
AeroForce Cleaning System
- Roomba 880 can clean multiple rooms with different types of floors.
- The powerful suction motors allow it to provide 5x airpower to pick up any kind of debris.
- Though no mobile app is available for Roomba 880, you can still schedule it 7x per week using the remote control.
- Moreover, the height of the vacuum allows it to clean surfaces under low-reaching furniture.
- The vacuum has two different modes for easy navigation around the house.
- Firstly, the Lighthouse mode allows Roomba 880 to clean 3 rooms consecutively.
- Secondly, the Virtual Wall mode allows you to limit the cleaning task to any defined area only.
Low Profile Design
- With a weight of 8.4 lbs only, you can easily move or store the device.
- Furthermore, its 3.6 inches height allows it to move even under the furniture to complete the cleaning process efficiently.
- Simple a press of the start button will make this device start cleaning.
- Moreover, if the battery runs low, it’ll automatically dock itself for recharging.
- Additionally, you can control its movements or processes via remote control.
Multiple Cleaning Stages
- Roomba 880 completes the cleaning through 3 consecutive steps including agitation, brushing, and suction.
- It is also equipped with multiple brushes to deal with different types of stains and locations.
Tangle Free Extractors
- The efficiently designed tangle-free extractors make sure doesn’t clog into the brushes.
- Therefore, the extractors help to remove any hairs, fibers, or debris that might have stuck in the brushes.
Common Features of Roomba 850 vs 890 vs 880
To be honest, these three devices have very limited similarities.
Firstly, all three make use of the AeroForce 3-Stage Cleaning System for delivering an effective cleaning job. Moreover, the HEPA standard AeroForce filters in these vacuums don’t allow the fine dust particles or allergens to escape back into the room.
Secondly, all three robotic vacuums can deliver equally good performance on a range of floors. Whether you are using the vacuum for a hard floor or carpeted rooms, these vacuums can perform cleaning tasks equally well.
In addition to delivering reasonable performance on multiple types of floors, these vacuums are equipped with tangle-free extractors. These extractors make sure that nothing gets clogged in the brushes.
Thirdly, these vacuums can sense the battery level and dock automatically for recharging if required.
Lastly, all three vacuums feature a ‘Bin Full’ indicator that will tell you when the dust-bin requires cleaning.
Apart from these similarities, you won’t find any worth-mentioning resemblances between these vacuum robots.
Final Words on Roomba 850 vs 890 vs 880
If you desire the latest features then it’s plausible to go for the more expensive Roomba 890 model. With additions like voice control, mobile app, superior battery, and virtual wall barriers, this vacuum robot will ensure that all your needs are met.
However, customers on a tight budget may opt Roomba 850, which can deliver equally efficient cleaning but won’t offer any additional perks. So, Roomba 850 is only a good robotic vacuum cleaner and nothing else.
Roomba 880 is in between the other two vacuums as far as features are concerned. It delivers the same quality cleaning as compared to Roomba 850 or 890 but has a bit more features than Roomba 850.
We hope we have made things quite simpler and straightforward for you to make a decision. However, no matter what your choice is, do leave feedback in the comments section. Adios!