Here, we will review Linksys WRT1900ACS vs ASUS RT AC68U to help you choose the best one!
The market for wireless networking has transformed over many years with the latest types of equipment and routers. But, sometimes one feels better just sticking to the basics.
[amazon box=”B014MIBLSA,B00FB45SI4″ template=”horizontal”]
It can’t be argued that no two wireless routers have been created equally. Some come with all the latest features but at an extremely high price while there are others with a cheap price tag but slower hardware.
Everyone wants to keep up with the technology but it is tough to choose one from the flood of new models that are introduced into the market every day.
In this article, we will compare Linksys WRT1900ACS vs ASUS RT AC68U. Both the names have been quite popular in the world of routers and their products are worth relying on!
Did You Know? ASUS is owned by Asustek whereas Linksys is under the ownership of Belkin since 2013.
Linksys WRT1900ACS vs ASUS RT AC68U: Quick Overview
A sheer comparison can help you make the most informed choice between the two products.
However, most users are of the view that the basic difference between the two routers lies in the aesthetic value of these devices.
Besides that, there are not much of a difference. Both are dual-band routers with USB ports, WAN and LAN. The front side is equipped with a series of LED lights that are bright and easy to see.
Furthermore, the connection ports are present on the rear sides. Linksys WRT1900ACS has 4 Gigabit LAN ports, a WAN port and a reset button with 1 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0 port. ASUS RT AC68U, on the other hand, possesses an additional LED switch for turning these off if you find them annoying.
- So, are there any more difference that you should be looking at?
Without further delay, let us jump into a detailed comparison between Linksys WRT1900ACS vs ASUS RT AC68U and see what are features should be looking into.
512 MB RAM and faster processor allows for overall better performance perfect for use when multiple devices are connected. Check Price from Amazon
Linksys WRT1900ACS Review
In the first look, WRT1900ACS may seem identical to the previous model, WRT1900AC but there is much more than what meets the eye. It offers a bigger RAM and a slightly better speed.
- The overall performance has also improved making your internet faster and life easier.
The manufacturers have also increased the level of customization possible with this router device. Although it is a bit more expensive as compared to WRT1900AC, the superior hardware specifications will make it worth your choice in the long run.
The RAM is greater allowing for simultaneous streaming on multiple devices without lagging issue. It also has a more powerful CPU adding more strength to the router so the internet does not disappoint you when you need it most.
Up to Date Design
- The blue plastic presents a practical chunky look, the device is sizable and the striking livery finish it may not be well suited to users looking for something more aesthetically pleasing.
- However, the router is easy to place around the house with its angular, shiny and upright structure firm on the four rubber-bottomed feet.
- The external antennas are adjustable so you can move them around to an optimized position. This would also help in achieving the best signal strength.
- An additional catchy change that the designers made include light of different colours representing the controlled display. They line up with their corresponding connections and buttons on the device so you know exactly where the required switch is.
- Speaking internally about the router, there is no doubt it is more powerful as compared to other options in the market.
- There is a 1.6 GHz ARM-based processor coupled with 512 MB of DDR3 RAM. It also offers 128 MB of flash memory.
- Like other AC1900 series routers, you can achieve up to 600 Mbps with 2.4 GHz band and 1300 Mbps with 5 GHz band.
- The most evident downside is the lack of MU-MIMO technology. The Multi-user Multiple Input Multiple Output feature is a must-have when you want to cope with several devices simultaneously without compromising on signal quality or internet speed.
Linksys WRT1900ACS Configuration
- To complete the configuration of the WiFi smoothly, you have to download the Linksys Smart WiFi app. This will allow you to take control of the network activity and speed.
- Furthermore, you can choose to turn the WiFi access on or off using the mobile app, create a guest network or prioritize traffic to a specific network or clients.
- The best part about Smart WiFi is that you can log in to the router even when you are miles away from home.
- In fact, access is possible from anywhere around the world making it more convenient and easier to use.
Trend Micro powers the AiProtection system. It provides complete security from cyber threats and malicious sites. Check Price from Amazon
ASUS RT-AC68U Review
ASUS RT-AC68U is an AC technology-based Dual Band Wireless router that utilizes the latest 802.11ac protocol. Moreover, it is powered by a dual-core Broadcom BCM4709 chipset clocked at 800 MHz, along with 256 MB DDR RAM and 128 MB built-in flash memory.
- Ultimately, RT-AC68U offers unparalleled speeds of up to 1900 Mbps over the network.
1300 Mbps is dedicated to the 5 GHz band. On the other hand, the Turbo QAM technology enables the router to push speeds of 200 Mbps in each of the three spatial streams.
The built-in USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports allow the connection of USB-enabled devices. The USB ports are used to attach storage drives for extending the storage capacity of the router. In fact, you can even connect an internet dongle to share an internet connection.
- There is more!
Attention! The security of the data being routed through the RT-AC68U router is guaranteed by AiProtection powered by Trend Micro.
Additionally, the connectivity between the router and the compatible WiFi devices is made possible through 3×3 MIMO supported SoC.
Furthermore, AiRadar Beamforming focuses the WiFi signals towards the connected devices providing a strengthened signal with reduced interference.
- It is a $170 Wi-Fi router with a sturdy, durable and futuristic design of 6.3×8.6×3.3 inches size looks pleasing to the eyes.
- The router weighs around 1.4 pounds making it a bit heavier than its competitors which weigh less than 1 pound.
- Additionally, the three antennas at the back are not detachable and the router may only be placed in a vertical position.
- It has four Gigabit LAN ports, a USB 2.0, and a USB 3.0 port.
- A dual-core chipset enhances the performance of the router by allocating different cores for WiFi data and USB port data.
- It allows WiFi speeds around 520 Mbps at 15 feet distance for 5 GHz band, while 205 Mbps for the 2.4 GHz band.
- Concurrently, writing speeds of 120 Mbps and reading speeds around 80 Mbps are attainable on a USB 3.0 port.
- Furthermore, Turbo QAM technology is utilized to enhance the speed of 2.4 GHz band up to 600 Mbps per spatial stream.
Security That You Need
- With more and more devices connecting to each other through networks, the security of the data being carried by the network is of prime importance.
- ASUS AiProtection provides multi-stage protection against coercion, if any, in the network.
- AiProtection offers vulnerability protection by securing your data from out-of-network attacks.
- ASUS AiRadar TX Beamforming technology allows the router to focus the WiFi signals towards the connected devices only.
- This not only reduces the interference and strengthens the signal, but also increase the coverage of the router.
ASUS AiMesh Feature
- Don’t throw away the old ASUS router or multiple ASUS Routers in your home or office!
- ASUS AiMesh is an innovative new feature that connects all ASUS routers together to make a larger WiFi network.
- This larger network may comprise of ASUS Routers of varying models. Hence older routers may easily be used to expand the WiFi network.
Interacting With The User
- ASUS’s reliable and user-friendly software, ASUSWRT, is used for setting up the router in 3-easy-steps.
- The intuitive user interface provides complete information related to the router.
- The Network Map, the Guest Network, the Traffic Manager (QoS), the Parental Controls, the USB application and the AiCloud are all available.
Linksys WRT1900ACS vs ASUS RT AC68U: Final Verdict
In an overall comparison, many features can be seen where Linksys WRT1900ACS is a clear winner. The first point is that it is cheap making it a budget-friendly choice for those who want a router equipped with all the features.
Moreover, this model also has better hardware, more efficient processors and comes with twice as much memory. The external adjustable antenna is another major catch! Conclusively, you can’t say no to faster hardware at a cheaper price.
However, if you are someone who does not want to compromise on the aesthetics of the router, then ASUS RT AC68U is definitely better-looking of the two. With its elegant design, it will make a fantastic addition to your living room.