The IP address of your default gateway is the source through which you can manage your network account.
It is important to make timely configuration changes for security purposes, but you cannot operate without knowing the IP address.
In this article, you will get detailed information about what is a default gateway of your computer network, and how can you find its IP address to make the required amendments.
What Is Meant By Default Gateway?
- A gateway is basically an access point to another network. When you are hosting another DNS network, it allows devices of one network to send or receive information from another hosting network.
- Your default gateway is actually the device through which the devices and traffic is redirected to the network you are using.
- These devices are majorly the cables and DNS routers. These routers are the actual source through which your devices get internet signals.
- In small to medium-sized offices and homes, these routers are mostly used. However, when it comes to multinational enterprises, they need a network device that can keep them connected to both the local networks as well as their own.
A gateway is basically an access point to another network. When you are hosting another DNS network, it allows devices of one network to send or receive information from another hosting network.
What is a Gateway IP Address?
Every router has a different and unique IP address assigned to them. Most of the manufacturing companies have the same IP addresses for their routers that makes them vulnerable to getting hacked.
The IP addresses are actually internet protocols in the form of numbers assigned to a gateway device.
This address identifies their presence in coordination with a specific network. It is essential to know the IP address of your gateway devices because it helps you to troubleshoot all your connection or hacking problems.
How to Find My Gateway IP Address?
If you are unaware of how you can reach your default gateway IP address, the following are the ways through which you can easily find the IP address of your router.
There are different user interfaces that people use for their routers. You can find your gateway IP address through any version of Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, and Android.
Finding Gateway IP Address Through Windows
You can find your gateway IP address by following these simple steps:
- Go to your window search bar and open the control panel. Hit enter and go to the control panel of your windows.
- Click the network and internet settings.
- Open the network and sharing center from the internet settings
- Under this setting, go for the ethernet status and check details.
- Your default gateway IP address will be listed next to the IPv4 Default Gateway.
- If you are using command prompt way, press Win +R on the keyboard
- Type cmd and press enter. After that, type the ipconfig n the window prompt section and you will get your gateway IP address.
Finding Gateway IP Address Through Linux
The easiest and shortest method of getting your gateway IP address is through Linux. With 3 to 4 simple steps, you are good to go with what you need:
- When you are finding for your gateway IP from Linux, click on the settings on the top left.
- Scroll down in the settings menu and click on the Network option that will further lead you to the Connection Settings icon.
- Your gateway IP address will be listed next to the Default Route.
Finding Through Mac OS X
- Open up the terminal application by typing the command Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal.app.
- When the application has launched, type the command netstat -nr | grep default.
- The output of the command will carry the numerical IP address of your gateway device.
- You can also find the IP address through System Preferences.
- Click on the Network connection settings and then click Advanced.
- Select the TCP/IP tab where you will find your gateway IP address easily.
Finding Gateway IP Address Through Android
To find my default gateway IP address from you Android, proceed with the following steps:
- Go to the settings and click Wi-Fi.
- Tap your network connection tab for long.
- An option to modify your network will show on the screen. Tab the icon.
- Tap the advanced option and switch the IPv4 settings to Static.
- You will find your gateway IP listed next to Gateway.
This guide has all the information you need to find out the IP address of your gateway device. Remember that you need to know about the default IP address assigned to your router so that you can change it for security purposes.