Speed, QoS, VPN, and much more! When there are so many features to check in a router, how do you choose one of the best Xbox One Routers?
The features you would need in a gaming router will be different from the internet device meant for home-based use, workplace, or needed to cater to office tasks.
Since we are talking about gaming, you would not want to compromise on the speed, device prioritization, or the security of your network as you connect with multiple players.
- Recommended for up to 50 devices: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices.
- Triple level game acceleration accelerate game traffic With device, game packet and game server prioritization
- Wi Fi router engineered for Xbox gaming identifies, prioritizes and accelerates gaming network above all else to give you an edge
- JD Power Award- Highest in customer satisfaction for wireless routers 2017 and 2019
Companies manufacturing routers have understood this task well and therefore many of them came up with routers dedicated to gaming purposes only.
In this article, we will explore the choices of Xbox One routers and talk about their pros, cons, and features for you to understand which one will be more suitable for you!
How To Choose The Right Xbox One Routers?
In order to make the right pick, there are few things in the gaming router that you should keep an eye on.
First of all, it is essential to have an advanced QoS. It optimizes the gameplay by allowing you to set prioritization over devices in the network.
Secondly, the option to connect via cord to the router gives the flexibility to enjoy the best lag-free performance. This is only possible when the router hosts USB ports or Gigabit Ethernet ports.
Since wireless networking means you have an indirect link to the internet device, being wired directly to it minimizes lags and interruptions. Moreover, it also takes care of the issues related to low latency.
- Open Source Firmware also has its benefits.
It allows the installation of third-party software such as DD-WRT through which you can customize the router in a more appropriate manner.
Lastly, speed is something you can never compromise on especially when you are talking about a gaming router. Luckily, all the options that we will talk about below out-perform other conventional Xbox One routers in terms of throughput.
Let’s have a look!
Brand Name: Netgear | Model Number: XR500-100NAS | Dimensions: 2.2 x 12.7 x 9.6 inches | Weight: 3.71 lbs | Wireless Type: 802.11ac | Operating System: Microsoft Windows, MacOS, Linux, UNIX
It is equipped with VPN support, Gaming VPN client, WPA and WPA2 wireless encryption. Check Price from Amazon
Netgear xr500 Review
Netgear Nighthawk XR500 is a dedicated gaming router in the list of Xbox One routers.
With its sleek black/gray body and a shiny finish, the device also ensures it matches well to your overall gaming setup.
XR500 is capable of 2600 Mbps speed. It has a dual-band technology and smartly directs traffic to ensures each device gets to make the best use of internet connection.
If you want a gaming time without any lags then you can also connect your computer, laptop, etc to the router via a Gigabit Ethernet port.
- There is only one such port present on the router but maximizes gaming performance by lowering ping and latency rates.
Another feature that will help you manage gaming traffic is geo-filtering. It lets you set a limit on the distance in which the players can connect therefore the router would only establish a local network by serving the players who are closest to it.
The dashboard is extremely gamer-friendly. It lets you see the bandwidth utilization by each device, ping rates, etc. The network is also secured via a gaming VPN server.
Prioritize Gaming Traffic
- You can allocate bandwidth to separate devices.
- This ensures there are no lags on the device that you are using to play online games.
- You can also control the maximum upload and download speed allowed for each device.
- It will minimize sudden throughput loss while gaming.
- It is also equipped with a Geo-filter feature.
- You can use this tool for reliable local connections by limiting the range of the network to nearby players and devices.
Manage Dashboard Easily
- The dashboard offered by the router is highly customizable.
- You can optimize it as a gaming dashboard by displaying ongoing bandwidth utilization by each device.
- Other parameters such as ping can also be analyzed on a single screen.
Advanced Security Features
- Netgear XR500 maintains reliable security across your network.
- It is equipped with VPN support, Gaming VPN client, WPA, and WPA2 wireless encryption.
- The network would be kept safe from DDoS attacks and you can rest assured that your data and identity are protected at all costs.
Multiple Wired Connections
- The router hosts 4 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports.
- They ensure that all devices are kept connected at all times. Wired connections allow for fast, lag-free gaming.
Reliable Hardware For Smoother Performance
- Netgear XR500 stands out in terms of hardware as well.
- It is equipped with a 1.7 GHz processor.
- The processor is powerful enough to support consistent performance when connected with multiple devices.
Impeccable Wireless Speed
- The router provides up to 2.66 Gbps wireless speeds.
- It features 2 external antennas that amplify WiFi signals for better and more reliable coverage.
- Luckily, the router also hosts the MU-MIMO feature that enables seamless connections on multiple devices.
- Furthermore, accelerated speed is managed by Quad-Stream and 160 MHz channels.
Brand Name: ASUS | Model Number: GT-AX11000 | Dimensions: 11.3 x 4.74 x 14.86 inches | Weight: 4.1 lbs | Wireless Type: 802.11ac | Operating System: Microsoft Windows, MacOS, Linux, UNIX
Enjoy the effect of traffic boost on every step as you play. A traffic increase helps to lower down ping rate. Check Price from Amazon
Asus ax11000 Review
The next in line is the ever-famous ASUS ROG AC11000 gaming router from the list of XBox One routers.
The router features triple-level game acceleration that helps maximize the traffic while gaming. The hardware has been impeccably designed with a 1.8 GHz Quad-core processor.
Furthermore, if you wish to enjoy seamless coverage then you can link your own setup with the ASUS AiMesh WiFi system. With 256 MB flash and 1 GB RAM, the mesh network offers a commendable performance during high-stake gaming.
Fortunately, the router also supports open-source firmware. That means you can enjoy the flexibility of bandwidth control and usage prioritization as per your need.
Lastly, the device hosts ASUS AiProtection for the utmost security of the network. This system is well versed in taking care of any cyber threats before they even reach you.
- When multiple devices are connected to the network, you can use the third 5 GHz band purely for gaming so your experience is not interrupted by streaming on other devices.
- The router features DFS or Dynamic Frequency Selection.
- This quality lets you make use of 15 additional channels that are mostly free on the 5 GHz bands.
- It is a bummer when you get your favorite game but are not able to team up with your friends.
- However, the ASUS ROG router takes care of this by allowing port forwarding in just 3 steps.
- The Open NAT would simply require you to choose the game you wish to play, select the device on which you would be playing, and hit the “Activate” button.
Powerful WiFi System
- ASUS has scored well with its innovation and launched the ever-famous AiMesh feature.
- This can be used to create a home-wide network by linking different ASUS routers together.
- It is a powerful and flexible system that provides central control and enhancing seamless streaming with the router.
Easy Control and Management
- ASUS AC11000 ROG router has a Gaming Center interface.
- You can easily access and control every feature using easy-point-and-click control.
- Are you worried about losing connection during the game?
- Employ the Game Radar that lets you keep an eye on ping times to separate servers before you begin the showdown.
Full Security As You Play
- It is common to face the issue of reduced internet speed when the VPN is dragging down the quality.
- Luckily, ASUS AX11000 has the solution to this problem.
- It is capable of running an efficient WiFi connection and providing VPN services at the same time.
Triple-Level Game Acceleration
- Enjoy the effect of traffic boost on every step as you play.
- A traffic increase helps to lower down the ping rate.
- Ultimately, this reduces the latency and enhance the overall gaming experience.
Brand Name: Linksys | Model Number: WRT32XB | Dimensions: 7.64 x 9.68 x 2.05 inches | Weight: 2.07 lbs | Wireless Type: 802.11ac | Operating System: MacOS, Windows 7, 8.1, 10
The router syncs with Xbox One in the best manner possible to reduce the ping rate by almost 65%. Check Price from Amazon
Linksys WRT32XB Review
Linksys WRT32XB is another router designed primarily for gaming purposes.
This is one of the Xbox One routers that knows how to prioritize devices as well as accelerate gaming network for maximum performance.
The hardware is also quite supportive of its task. The router features a powerful 1.8 GHz dual-core processor that can simultaneously process data for multiple devices on the network.
WRT32XB stands out for its minimum ping rates. In fact, it can reduce the latency by almost 65% and allow for quick response time while you are gaming.
Next, the interface is also suited to the gaming experience. It is customizable and displays all the information you need as a gamer linked to multiple players.
Wired connectivity has proven to provide lease lags during games. Therefore, the router is also equipped with 4 pro-grade Gigabit Ethernet ports that can be used to connect devices for ultra-fast connectivity.
- All the features installed in Linksys WRT32XB have been done so keeping in mind the needs of professional gaming.
- Its Killer Prioritization Engine ensures that networking is most dedicated to devices while gaming.
- This Engine reduces the ping rate from 74 ms to just 17 ms.
Offers Lowest Ping Rates
- The router syncs with Xbox One in the best manner possible to reduce the ping rate by almost 65%.
- Lower ping rates and lower latency gives you a clear advantage over other competitors.
- This ensures that you are milli-second faster in your shoots and actions for guaranteed victory.
- The router provides up to 3.2 Gbps of speed which is more than any other typical gaming router that you will find in the market.
- Speed coupled with bandwidth prioritization and lowest ping rates ensures extra smooth and responsive gameplay.
Ultimate User Control
- The user-friendly interface lets you enjoy complete control over the internet traffic.
- You can keep a check on the connected devices, manage different settings, and analyze speed output via the powerful interface.
- As the dashboard is extremely gaming-friendly, you can use it to see storage status, port-forwarding, speed, etc.
Enhanced Gigabit Ethernet Connectivity
- The router features 4 pro-grade, Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- This makes it an ideal device for creating a wide LAN party.
- These ports can be used to connect with TVs, consoles, laptops, and other gaming devices for faster, lag-free internet connection.
- There is also a single eSATA port for connecting with storage devices and carrying out file transfers at ultra-fast speed.
- You will find an additional USB 3.0 port and connect a hard drive or memory stick with it.
- The router is equipped with a 1.8 GHz dual-core processor.
- It hosts 4 external, adjustable antennas for signal amplification.
Brand Name: TP-Link | Model Number: Archer C5400X | Dimensions: 11.34 x 11.34 x 7.24 inches | Weight: 3.0 lbs | Wireless Type: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac | Operating System: Microsoft, Google, Apple, Amazon
Powered by Trend Micro TM, it works to protect your devices from any sort of cyber-attack, data, theft, damage by virus attacks, etc. Check Price from Amazon
TP-Link AC54000 Review
TP-Link has always stood out because of its amazing customer support service and the number of awards it has won in the last 3 years.
No doubt this router is a commendable gaming router in the list of Xbox One routers, that features 1.8 GHz quad-core processors, 1 GB RAM, and speeds as high as 5.4 Gbps.
The router features tri-band technology with 2.4 GHz band offering up to 1000 Mbps and the two 5 GHz band that provide 2167 Mbps speed each.
On top of that, the router is equipped with 8 Gigabit LAN ports. There is a single Gigabit WAN port that you can connect together using Link Aggregation.
For the purpose of signal boosting, there is an in-built beamforming feature couple with 6 external antennas that ensure the network signals reach every corner of your house.
Lastly, the advanced TP-Link HomeCare helps to protect your network from cyber-attacks and any viruses that may harm the system.
- The router is equipped with a 1.8 GHz Quad-core processor.
- This is coupled with 1 GB RAM. The two features work collectively to provide the power you need in a gaming router.
- Furthermore, it hosts 3 co-processors to balance the demands of the devices.
Superb Traffic Prioritization
- The software identifies the incoming traffic and optimizes the speed accordingly.
- If you want to enjoy maximum advantage then you choose to prioritize gaming over all other internet tasks.
- In addition to MU-MIMO technology, TP-Link AC5400 also hosts AirTime Fairness.
- This feature allows the router to serve individually each connected device for maximum speed and precision.
- The router is programmed with sophisticated algorithms that help it decide how to divide the data fairly between each device.
- The router has an in-built VPN server.
- This ensures your network stays safe while browsing.
- For maximum protection, TP-Link AC5400 is compatible with TP-Link HomeCareTM.
- This feature is powered by Trend Micro TM and works to protect your devices from any sort of cyber-attack, data, theft, damage by virus attacks, etc.
Doubled Wired Connectivity
- Like most other gaming routers, this one also features multiple ports for wired connections.
- In fact, it has the highest number of Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- The router 8 such ports that offer one-of-the-best-in-industry internet speeds.
Brand Name: D-Link | Model Number: DIR-890L/R | Dimensions: 9.75 x 15 x 4 inches | Weight: 2.50 lbs | Wireless Type: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac | Operating System: Microsoft, Google, Apple, Amazon
D-Link DIR-890L router features the latest band steering technology to save bandwidth by distributing traffic smartly. Check Price from Amazon
D-Link AC3200 Review
The next in line is the D-Link DIR-890L/R gaming router in our list of Xbox One routers.
With its tri-band technology, the router provides up to 3.2 Gbps of speed and lag-free online gaming.
Additionally, the router hosts 6 external antennas that boost the network signals and increase connectivity strength in all directions. These are further aided by a powerful 1 GHz dual-core processor.
There are a number of features that enhance the performance of this router with multiple devices. First of all, Advanced Smart Connect helps to select the best band available for the required type of streaming.
Furthermore, there is an advanced AC SmartBeam that directs the signals towards bandwidth-hungry devices instead of sending them out in random directions.
Lastly, with advanced QoS, you can prioritize the device for networking. The router then ensures that the signals on such devices do not degrade when more than 1 device connects to it.
- Just like routers with beamforming technology, D-Link does not send out signals randomly.
- Instead, it smartly tracks your connected devices in order to deliver better speed and range.
Tri-Band WiFi Technology
- The device is equipped with two 5 GHz bands and a single 2.4 GHz band.
- The bands deliver 1300 Mbps and 600 Mbps respectively.
- The overall speed is sufficient for online gaming, 4K streaming, as well as everyday internet use.
Smarter Bandwidth Use
- D-Link DIR-890L router features the latest band steering technology.
- It saves bandwidth by distributing traffic smartly and hence makes sure that the WiFi delivers maximum performance.
- D-Link router features a 1 GHz dual-core processor.
- This allows for faster network speed when multiple devices are in use.
Advanced Security Features
- The router is equipped with WPA/WPA2 wireless encryption.
- It creates a safe network for your home and workplace where your data is kept secure from theft or cyber misuse.
- The intuitive interface allows for the easy installation of the router.
- Network management is also a breeze whether you choose to do it via desktop or mobile.
Brand Name: Netgear | Model Number: R8000-100NAS | Dimensions: 2.14 x 11.54 x 8.92 inches | Weight: 1.03 lbs | Wireless Type: 802.11ac | Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7, 8, XP, Vista, UNIX, Linux, Mac OS
Equipped with Armor multi-layer protection so you don’t need to install separate anti-virus subscriptions for steering clear of threats. Check Price from Amazon
Netgear R8000 Review
Netgear X6 stands out from other Xbox One routers on this list as it provides an astonishing coverage of 3500 square feet.
The range coupled with 3.2 Gbps speeds makes this router our favorite one so far.
Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 possesses tri-band technology. Therefore you can easily stream 4K videos or play only games without the worry of lags or connectivity loss.
The hardware performance is up to the bar with a 1 GHz dual-core processor. With the help of 6 external antennas and beamforming technology, the router provides strong signals throughout the house.
There is one USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0 port installed on the device. You can use these to create personal cloud storage or connect external devices if needed.
Lastly, the interface is extremely user-friendly. The software hosts smart parental controls so you enjoy maximum access to how your kids utilize the internet.
Easy To Set Up
- It is quite easy to set up the router thanks to the compatible Nighthawk app.
- You just need to connect the Ethernet cable to your router.
- After this, the application would automatically take you through a step-by-step guide on how to complete the configuration.
Fast WiFi With Strong Coverage
- Netgear Nighthawk R8000 provides a speed up to 3200 Mbps.
- This is sufficient for lag-free 4K streaming and for playing games online with multiple members.
- Additionally, the router encompasses a range of 3500 square feet.
- With features such as beamforming and external antennas, you would be able to enjoy a fast, reliable network throughout your house.
Flexible Wireless Connection
- It can manage as many as 50 devices at a time.
- Luckily, there would not be any lag issues when using the network on multiple devices.
- As the router possesses tri-band technology, the three bands efficiently work to maximize the speeds when a number of devices are connected.
- Netgear X6 hosts 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- They allow for a fast wired internet connection when links to computers, game consoles, etc.
- Furthermore, there are 2 USB ports for connecting with external devices.
Advanced Protection Against Cyber Threats
- Netgear routers are equipped with Armor multi-layer protection.
- You don’t need to install separate anti-virus subscriptions for steering clear of such threats.
- All such security has now been made part of the router itself.
- This ensures that all your connected devices such as laptops and smartphones are kept secured from data theft or malware.
Smart Parental Control
- Netgear Nighthawk X6 hosts the smart Circle App.
- You can use this application to manage internet settings conveniently especially if you are a parent who wishes to control their kid’s internet usage.
- The app can be used to schedule internet timings, limit connectivity, filter out websites that are not appropriate for children, and much more.
Check On These Before You Leave Xbox One Routers!
It is possible that you have the best gaming router at your disposal but still experiences a barrier between your game and the internet service.
NAT settings play a major role in this regard. You have to check whether you are using Open, Strict, or Restricted NAT. In case the type is strict, then you choose to enable UPnP for better performance.
For this function, you need to visit the advanced settings section of the dashboard. Here would you would find a tab that allows UPnP function. Enabling it would make room for better access to online games.
Lastly, the performance can be improved by unlocking the ports that are used to access the game’s servers. The steps for this task are short and easy. Here’s what you need to do.
Decide which port you need to unlock. After that, click on the “Port-forwarding” tab located in the advanced settings of the router.
In the next step mention the UDP and TCP ports that you wish to unlock and add it to your “remember” list to save the hassle next time.
These are some of the tricks that you can employ to enhance the gaming experience with any of the Xbox One routers you have.
Xbox One Routers – Find a Verdict
As a gamer, what you are looking for in the Xbox One routers might be much different from what usual internet surfers need.
A lag of even 1 ms means all your effort will go to waste. A miss of single click and you might not be able to get back in the game.
If you are a serious gamer who wants to avoid any such mishappening, then choose carefully from the above professional gaming routers that we have discussed.
In our view, the safest choice from the list of Xbox One Routers is Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 considering the range of features it offers. However, if budget is a major deciding factor then you can explore other pocket-friendly options.