Open-source routers came into existence to enable the individuals to protect their whole network through just one VPN connection.
This saved them the hassle of connecting each device individually. One of the services that adopted this technology in its early phase is Linksys, with its first-ever WRT54G custom router.
Router customization means opting for a third-party custom router firmware with more features and benefits tailored to your needs rather than sticking to the one built in the modem by default.
Linksys WRT3200ACM Wi-Fi Router Review
- Fast wireless router provides Wi-Fi coverage for your home (works with existing modem)
Linksys WRT3200ACM can be said one of the best in the market due to its speed, bandwidth & tri-stream features.
Now I am going to prove that this dual-band router is worth your investment & here’s why.
12 years after Linksys WRT54G, Linksys launched WRT1900AC in 2014 and then an even improved version Linksys WRT3200ACM in 2016.
Also, this is Linksys’ first router with Tri-streaming 160 and is also capable of Multi-User, Multiple Input, Multiple Output (MU-MIMO) data streaming, and beamforming.
This moderately priced, dual-band router offers the latest Wi-Fi technologies.
Brand name: Linksys | Series: WRT3200ACM | Wireless Type: 802.11ac | Model Number: WRT3200ACM | Dimensions: 9.7 x 2 x 7.6 inches | Batteries: 1 Lithium Polymer batteries | Item weight: 1.74 pounds | Data Transfer Rate: 2,160 Mb per second | Number of Ethernet Ports: 4 |
Linksys first router with Tri-streaming 160 and is also capable of Multi-User, Multiple Input, Multiple Output (MU-MIMO) data streaming and beam forming. Check Price from Amazon
Nostalgic Design Linksys WRT AC3200 Dual-Band
- Carrying the legacy of its predecessor models, Linksys WRT3200ACM has a nostalgic black and blue design. The L X W X H dimensions of the item are 9.68 x 2.04 x 7.63 inches and weigh 1.74 pounds.
- The ON/OFF button is located at the back of the router and the front contains LED indicators in series. These LED indicators include a power indicator that lights up when the router is powered on, the internet indicator, the USB indicator, and the Ethernet indicators.
- With its 5GHz bandwidth which is the fastest in the market, Linksys WRT3200ACM has a solid performance with a lot of connectivity options.
- The 4 antennas are 4 inches long each and easily movable and detachable. These antennas need to be attached first before setting up the router connection. For best performance, the side antennas should be pointed in an upright direction.
- The back has 4 Ethernet ports and 1 internet port. The blue Ethernet ports connect Ethernet cable from the router to the wired devices on your network while the yellow internet port connects Ethernet cable from the router to broadband internet cable/ DSL.
- Although this vintage look is a good reminder of the previous models by Linksys which were quite hit in their own times, the typical blue and black color might not be liked by all users.
- However, the colors and design don’t matter much as long as the service being provided is up to the mark. Linksys really impresses with its fastest speeds and thus doesn’t need to care about its looks.
At a glance, some very prominent features of Linksys can be summarized as the following:
- Tri-steam 160 MHz technology doubles the bandwidth from 80 MHz to 160 MHz.
- Fast data transfer & internet speed of 2,160 MBs per second.
- Dual band wi-fi speeds up to 2.6 Gbps (2.4 GHz / 600 Mbps) + 5 GHz / 2600 Mbps .
- Firmware customization by the open-source router to get advanced features and benefits.
- Fast speed to multiple devices at home at the same time by MU-MIMO technology.
- Allows HD video streaming, online gaming, download files, listen to music, as well as browsing to be done efficiently.
- Smart, wireless router that can be controlled easily through smart wi-fi app
- Allows access to restricted DFS channels at full bandwidth, not allowed with other routers.
- Provides a never lagging, fast home network with Enterprise-Grade 1.8 GHz processor that works even in heavy network traffic.
- Operating temperature is 0 to 40 C (32 to 104 F); avoid overheating.
Whether the installation of Linksys WRT3200ACM is easy or a difficult task, is up to you.
It is easy if you follow the instructions carefully, and can be hectic if you fail to follow the installation guide.
- Being an open-source router, firmware customization is something you need to figure out on your own since it is beyond the scope of this review. However, the basic installation of the device is similar to other models. All you need to do is follow the step by step guide provided in the manual.
- After unboxing the device first, determine the location of your device. If you want to mount it on a wall, the wall should be smooth, flat, and dry. The router has wall mount slots that you can fit in the nails drilled in the wall to secure the position of the router on the wall.
- Wherever you choose to position your device, make sure an electrical connection is close by. Attach the 4 antennas to their ports and plug in the power. The front LED display will light up.
- Attach the Ethernet cable to the yellow internet port on one end and to the modem on the other end. Wait till the blinking LED lights on the front display change to stable light and open web browser.
- Either you can establish the connection by opening a web browser and going to http://LinksysSmartWiFi.com which will give instructions on how to set up the connections. You can use the Smart Wi-Fi app on your phone to remotely secure and control the connection.
Set up your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi account by following these instructions after setting up the connection:
- Change your router’s name and password; make sure to write them down somewhere so that you may never forget
- Set up guess access, this will enable other outsiders to use it without having access to all of your network resources.
- Configure parental controls on the internet that help you to block inappropriate websites and set up a timer on internet use.
- Connect the devices to the internet and check the network connection speed
In case you already have an account and you want to log in but you forget your password, click on Forgot your password and follow the password recovery instructions.
To sum up our Linksys WRT3200 ACM review, it is the fastest and most reliable network connection provider. Being an open-source router, it allows firmware customization of its operating system by third party firmware providers.
Providing a fast and secure network connection, it allows multiple device usage at the same time without affecting the internet speed.
You can now establish parental controls with this router and protect the innocent ones fro